We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have to show proof of travel insurance????

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Have to show proof of travel insurance????

Was wondering if someone could assist. Our travel agent told us that we have to show proof of purchasing travel insurance or we won't be able to get into Cuba? What? I have never heard of that. I don't remember having to show proof of travel insurance for any other country I have been in. Maybe things have changed since we were in Cuba last (2007)? Does this sound right? Thanks in advance.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

You should have travel insurance anyway but your Ontaio heath card will suffice. Very few have been asked for it. Its a non issue.

Cheers

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

Yes things have changed since 2007. About two years ago, they started requiring the proof of travel insurance in order to enter the country. The only thing is - they rarely ask to see it. I always make sure that I have proof with me but I've never been asked for it.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

Thanks everyone, I don't travel without it either it's just that this was the first I heard about having to have it. Included in my benefit package at work is travel insurance, would this suffice? I could also get a letter from my employer explaining that I will have coverage for the duration of my trip, and I have a card for that package (Green Shield). Sound good? Cause with my luck, I would be the one person that's actually asked.... lol. Thanks again.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
202 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

Just got back.. did not ask also last year went twice and was not asked either..

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

If you are so inclined. Just take your OHIP card.

Cheers

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

Yes true rules changed in Cuba the last couple of years but "jewelsniagra" what you should do is get a letter from Green Shield stating who is covered they will also give you phone number of the company they are associated with in Cuba (Green Shield) maynot have an associate in Cuba. This is important info to have in case something happens. Above advise applies to any country you travel to. Letter from your employer doesn't mean anything as they are not paying the medical bills.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

We get a letter each time from our group provider and have never been asked to show it, however, we will continue to get an updated letter for each trip. (Takes me 2 minutes to make the call, and they email me a copy of the letter) NO hassle for me, and could save a huge nightmare at the airport if we didn't do it. Also serves as addn'l proof of coverage/details should you need to use it!

I have to advise, IMHO, that OHIP is NOT sufficient, as unfortunatly, the "O" in OHIP stands for ONTARIO!!

Further reading: …gov.on.ca/en/…travel.aspx

Working in the industry means I'm 'worst case scenario' minded...however, the cost of obtaining short term trip insurance (if you don't have adequate group benefits) pales in comparision to what you'd be on the hook for if you ran into troubles!

We had a neighbour who had his wife fall ill on vacay in the DR - his addn'l insurance paid all the costs for him to get back and forth to the hospital (45mins each way) and for his meals (hotel was also good about packing him lunches!) and for a cot when he had to stay the night one night.

When we didn't have group benefits coverage we paid aprox $85/yr for a family package that covered us for unlimited trips up to 15 days in length each trip. MUCH cheaper than buying from the travel wholesaler!

(we used Sanderson Insurance based in Lindsay Ontario - you can set up everything up via phone and/or internet)

Hope this helps!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

Jen_Ha

When I recommended, along with others, that you take your OHIP card as proof of insurance I certainly didn't mean that it was sufficient travel insurance, just that its proof of insurance. We always buy Deluxe Travel Insurance when we travel. Its not that exspensive and certainly gives you piece of mind. I to have a letter from my work extended health, in fact its on ther website for download.

Cheers

hfx
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

As Bergerman said your provincial health card is sufficient to get you in to Cuba, but is insufficient to get you out if you have medical issues in Cuba.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have to show proof of travel insurance????

We carried our Alberta Health card, as well as our standard Extended Benefits travel insurance card. They did not ask for either. They did however want to see your boarding pass when you go through immigration. That caught some by surprise. Keep it with your passport and all will go smoothly. The immigration process is very slow compared to other countries. I suspect they have a crappy computer system as they stare endlessly at their monitor -- and I suspect it is doing nothing. Some find it intimidating. I found it a bit humorous, like they were being paid by the hour and the longer it took, the more they got paid.