We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for the locals

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for the locals

What are some suggestions for the locals, toothpaste, toiletries? I have heard tylenol? Children's vitamins? Clothing? Any suggestions?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
131. Re: Gifts for the locals

Hmm... I see your points.

So from reading on the forum, it sounds that the best bet is to exchange the money right at the airport when you arrive. I could do that, but if I run out of CUCs is the hotel rate reasonable? If I have any CUCs left, is it easy to change back to CDN? Do you loose a lot on the conversion?

Also, can excursions be payed with a credit card?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
132. Re: Gifts for the locals

Vesper

Yes exchange at airport if you have time, if not exchange at the cadeca at your resort.Your resort should have one although you've not mentioned the name. The exchange rate is minimal. The buy back rate is crappy so exchange small amounts at a time. As or excursions and larger purchases(cigars) us a non USA affiliated credit card

Cheers

Edited: 02 March 2012, 14:39
Ontario
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
133. Re: Gifts for the locals

Most hotels now have cadecas and the rate is usually the same as at the airport. You may be able to pay for excursions with a credit card, but don't count on it. Change your money as you go, so you don't end up with a lot that needs to be changed back.....you will take a hit on it. Always good to have a little left over, for starting your next visit to Cuba. :-)

Edited: 02 March 2012, 14:40
Ottawa
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
134. Re: Gifts for the locals

Awesome - will do the small amounts exchange!

Thanks everyone!

135. Re: Gifts for the locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria