We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MLD recent bad reviews

Liverpool of course
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Topic
MLD recent bad reviews

Hi,

When we booked this hotel last year the reviews overall were very good but since then the hotel has had a change of manager and the reviews have gone from bad to worse this year. One review mentioned bed bugs, blood stained sheets and towels and another review mentioned seeing a rat!

Are the rooms really that bad? I need cleanliness more then anything else - I don't mind old.

Also do the bugs overtake the rooms? I expect to see some.

I'm starting to worry now and we go in less then 8 weeks.

Thanks.

Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Scenic Walking Areas, Churches & Cathedrals, Historic Sites, Sacred & Religious Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,219 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

The Brits start going again from next week , so in a month start reading them again.

I have never seen or itched a bed bug, the people may have taken sand fleas back to room.

The rooms are clean. They are constantly renovating the rooms.

I read a review at the end of October where it said block 44 was in need of a re paint. Well it was repainted while I was there in October, so do not know what they expected.

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

Hi :)

As for the rat... you're right by the beach. I've seen one of these animals (I'm very phobic of mice/rats etc...) and it was much larger than a rat with a shorter tail, it looked more like a hedgehog but faster without the spikes. The staff did not seem bothered by it.

In spite of seeing this animal, I've still returned time after time because I love this resort.

It may well have teething problems with the new manager but hopefully they will be sorting things out in time for our busy season.

When are you going?

Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

Surely the rat has a right to use the facilities like the rest of the guests?

Its the crabs that freak me out - they run that fast across the paths and chatter with their feet on the concrete - so weird !!

Have fun.

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

lol, the crabs always find their way to the stage during the evening shows!

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

Yikes!! I do NOT like them one bit !! lol

JayLfc....you will find that a lot of Brits are repeat visitors to this hotel, myself and my partner and our friends included........this is our 5th trip to MLD :-) As adivsed...read the reviews from Brits (May onwards).

Enjoy your trip :-) I reckon you probably leave on the plane that brings us home from MLD... ...so if you're taking cold feet.........you can always change the names on your tickets to our names and save us leaving the airport?? lol I will even pay for the name change....and that says A LOT FOR A SCOT!!! lol :-)

Liverpool of course
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

Ha-ha! Thank u for all the replies. It has definitely put my mind at rest now.

We fly out on the 17th June. :o)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

Bed bugs... not good. Don't want to bring those back home and start an infestation that's for sure.

Rats, well yes i've seen a few on the cayo but never in a room. That is why the stray cats are there, to help control the rats/mice population.

You'll see cockroaches possibly and that is a very normal fact of tropical climates. Has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the place.

The only bad thing about MLD are the rooms smell. More and more rooms have a very strong musty smell, probably coming fro the A/C unit. Not the typical musty smell that is normally found in a room (in a tropical climate) and clears up after 1 day of venting it. The real bad musty smell that makes it hard to sleep and catches in your throat. I got one of those and so did my friend and a friend of mine that works at MLD told me its getting to be a problem as more and more and like this. In low season, its not a problem, they will switch you but when the hotel is full, you are stuck in your unhealthy room for the duration of your trip.

Now I hear a rumor that a new manager is coming to MLD shortly and if this is true, he will make things better quickly. He is a great manager and has done a marvelous job in his current location.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 17:33
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,219 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

I have just heard from hotel, no new manager due in.

Liverpool of course
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

Is it best to email the hotel before we go? I want to request a 2nd floor room on the adult side.

Can any provide the email address and managers name please?

Thanks

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MLD recent bad reviews

Try jefe.ventas.mld@meliacuba.com

Bear in mind that it will not be promsed but they will do what they can. This is not the email address for the manager but it goes to the reservation team.