We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cigarettes

Sheffield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cigarettes

hi cant 't wait to go to mcsm been to cuba before to varadero and was able to buy cigarettes in the hotel shop is this so at mcsm dosen't bother me but we have 3 smokers in our party t, i think the cigs were called hollywood

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,482 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cigarettes

You can get Hollywood at the MCSM.

Sheffield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cigarettes

thanks for your quick answer

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,482 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cigarettes

Happy to help.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,797 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cigarettes

They still cost 1.20 CUC per 20. Unlike the UK, cigarette prices have not increased for years.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cigarettes

The Hollywoods come in 3 different types.Menthol,mild and regular.Personally,I found them too small and mild.I much preferred the Cohibas.A little more expensive,1.85 CUC per 20, but they seem to be bigger,stronger and are still a steal by Canadian standards.Depends on the smokers tastes.Tell your friends to be sure and take extra matches or a lighter that is full.There were none to be purchased at Memories(a huge resort on CSM) during the 2 weeks I was there in April.Had to go off resort to get a lighter.Not far mind you,but it still boggles my mind that I could not buy a light on a resort in Cuba.Every time I lit a smoke2 or 3 people would ask for a light.I have never run into that before in Cuba.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cigarettes

Cohiba cigarettes are great, but strong as mentioned, if you want something a bit milder try the Romeo y Julieta cigarettes, 1.60 cuc a pack.

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cigarettes

My son will be travelling with us the MCSM in 2 weeks, was going to buy cigarettes at the duty, but it seems that they are much cheaper at the resort.. but I do want to make sure he can purchase them at the resort, would hate to get there and find out he couldn't.. I would have one misearable person travelling with me lol...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cigarettes

#7.......Well make sure he has enough tabacky to carry him over the first night just in case you arrive late and the general store has already closed. I can't imagine any resort not having ciggies, unless the supply truck got stuck in the mud or something.

He won't be able to buy cigarettes like the ones sold at the duty-free in Toronto. In Cuba they do not carry CDN brands. The duty shop in Cuba should have the best prices per carton of Cuban smokes. Some folks do not consider them up to puff though, compared to their usual back-home brands.

As poster #5 wisely mentioned, bring some lighters or matches or you just might have to be rubbing 2 sticks together!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: cigarettes

H.Upmann soft pack (pronounced etchA Oopmon)....$0.70 cuc each / $5.00 cuc per carton. What many Cubans smoke, and yes, a bit stronger too.

Terry

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cigarettes

They also have H.Upmann Select which is not as harsh as the regular H.Upmann. costs about .75 cuc