We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

It would appear that it is a matter of time for one of the best areas of the Caribbean, to begin drilling for oil.

Now the question is, when can we expect to see the outline of a drilling rig in the sunset?

rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/119327/Plan_to_Dr…

A mix of thoughts comes to mind here. AB

Edited: 15 July 2012, 16:54
Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

I agree it will happen eventually. Cuba needs the oil and who are we to criticise them?

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

But they've been drilling for oil and gas for years around Cardenas..

ATB,J.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

One of the biggest draw cards to Cuba is their beautiful beaches, so what is going to happen when they have a big oil spill? Believe me an oil spill will happen, some other hot spots such as Mexico have allot more to offer than just their beaches.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

First they need to find the oil...if indeed it exists there. They're only drilling test wells at this point to try to find it. Other attempts to find off-shore oil elsewhere have been a bust to date.

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

Sweetmystery0:

I agree with you, but black gold talks.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

Years ago there was a French Rig on the island right out front of the Beach at the Sol Cayo Guillermo . They had a chopper couriering supplies to their camp. Made for some interesting views with the binoculars.

Luckily , it was packed up and gone a few months later, when we returned.(sigh of relief)

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

The article says that the Russians plan on drilling off Cayo Santa Maria. There was also talk a year or so back of drilling going on offshore from Santa Cruz del Norte, which is between Varadero and Havana, though I haven't heard anything more about it. There are alot of oil donkeys in that area already though.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 07:28
Alberta
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

Cayo Santa Maria has one of the most stunning beaches in Cuba.

I have to wonder with the threat of the Russians planning to drill if that is *one* of the reasons why the Foreign hotels such as the Barcelo are pulling out? Bad enough only having 49% ownership, then to have to deal with Guests complaining about the results of an oil spill. Despite the efforts made to build more hotels and that area of Cuba up; this is not an action place.

The beach/ocean is still the main draw card for tourists.

Oh yes black gold does talk, hopefully memories of a beautiful paradise will be enough.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

Even now when walking the impressive white sand beaches, you may come across the remains of oil spills in this area from the past. The black tar rests on and in the sand, showing no age. It is as soft and sticky as the day it floated ashore and has become a continued legacy in the hot Cuba sun.

I say go to Cuba now, enjoy it now as who can say what the thinking will be when oil is found and the real money starts to roll into Cuba.

Just saying AB

Edited: 16 July 2012, 17:33
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Drilling for oil offshore Cuba

The globs of black tar that you see on the beaches and the rocks come from passing foreign ships that occasionally dump their waste at sea.

It is of course, obviously illegal and apparently, the culprits can be caught if the the authorities take a sample from the waste oil and match it to the ship that that has dumped it. Don't know how often that happens.

Once during a stay at Breezes jibacoa, I arrived and found the beach to be closed for a day or two because of such an "oil spill." It wasn't as bad as i had feared when I first heard about it. I had visions of the beach completely covered in oil. It turned out to be not as bad. There were lots of thick clumps of oil which you could scoop up with a shovel. Swimming was stopped because people were getting these globs stuck to their skin and hair.

Very bad for the reef however, no matter how small the quantity.