We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gaviota cayo santa maria

MONTREAL QUEBEC...
Level Contributor
586 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
gaviota cayo santa maria

So I was here when the Barcelo had first opened ( I believe we were there in 2008 or 09), Would like to know where this Gaviota Santa Maria is located.... Or has it just changed name for a resort that was already there. I see lot of Memories and I am wondering if that was what was the Barcello. Thanks

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,196 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

That Gaviota hotel is right next to the MLD.

It was being built as a Dunas 5 , then went to Sirenis ( sp), now is Cayo Gaviota, or some name like that.

MONTREAL QUEBEC...
Level Contributor
586 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

So when we were there the Melia las Dunas was the hotel i guess west of the Barcelo .. in otherwords there was the Barcello and then the next was LAs Dunas. So i guess the gaviota is another hotel.. Now when we went the Barcelo was the first of I think 3 more hotels being built as part of a large complex. So am I right in assuming that the memories Azul and paraiso are part of that complex but have just been renamed as I heard the barcelo chain has left cayo santa maria.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,196 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

http://cayosantamaria.info/hotels.html

This link has a better explanation, and a map showing the hotels and layout of the Cayo.

MONTREAL QUEBEC...
Level Contributor
586 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

Thanks so much for the info.. that really explains it well

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,196 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

Even as a multi time visitor to the area, I had to go and check what the Gaviota was called today.

As I say it has been known as so many names in such a short time

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

Gaviota is now "Playa Cayo Santa Maria"

It is administred and owned by GAVIOTA CUBA.

As far as " New Adult only Resort" which will open Dec 2012"

a five star " ROYALTON CAYO SANTA MARIA" that is administered by the Canadian Hotel Group, Blue Dimond Hotel and Resorts.

This will be a ultimate luxury resort, ( division of Sunwing Travel) resort and guests will also have access to Memories Paraiso and Azul, which is also division of Sunwing.

You can check out the website for /hotel room details. I've been to Royalton in Miami FL. it was spectacular.

www.royaltonresorts.com

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,196 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

In my opinion, a Hotel in the US, no matter if same chain , is not going to be as good in Cuba.

They just do not get the supplies.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

I guess we can only judge once it opens and we experience it for ourselves, wheather it will be a 5 star luxury or not.

Now, this is a Canadian ( Sunwing) advertisement not Cuban, so it may be close to 4. 5 - 5 star North American ratings. We have to wait and see.......

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

This is what I rec'd from the hotel directly last week:

Days ago our hotel´s name changed, we are now Playa Cayo Santa Maria Hotel. This means you count with a new product to feature and we increase our portfolio with a high quality hotel. We spent a few days getting ready all Playa standards and the idea is to make a Playa Pesquero in Cayo Santa María. We are part of 5 “Playa” hotels: “Playa Pesquero” and “Playa Costa Verde” in Holguín, “Quinta Avenida” in Havana City and “Playa Coco” in Coco Key.

I have rec'd a couple of emails from them since with updates as to what is coming re. amenities as well as more pictures. I haven't even been yet and I'm quite impressed with the service :-)

10. Re: gaviota cayo santa maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2013, 10:15