We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing selection

Souris, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing selection

My husband and I are looking at this for January and it includes either Memories Paraiso, Melia Las Dunas or Iberostar Ensenachos(all of which look awesome to us)..you find out 2 weeks prior to your travel date. I gather from others on here though that the odds are stacked towards Paraiso... so we have a couple of questions regarding that resort.

1.Looking at the resort info it reads like there is a dress code at Paraiso buffets ???

2. Info also states that there are two 24-hr snack bars..yet in some reviews people are stating there are none? I'm thinking it might be the time of year ??

3.There are also many comments about insects...we have heard these complaints about other areas as well and never encountered any...could they be bad in Jan/Feb ??

We have been to several AI's in Varadero and also to DR and we're not too hard to please but this will be our first two week trip so I just want to make sure I make a great choice.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing selection

Hey check out the other conversation about this same thing.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g670039-i12236-k573…

Cheers

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing selection

Jan-Feb is probably the best time to go for bugs.. meaning there should be very little at that time of year as it is the dry season and cooler, less humid.

Souris, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing selection

Thanks..I had actually read that thread and that is where I found out you are most likely put at Paraiso...but it didn't really answer my other questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing selection

From what I have read, they are not too strict on dress code in buffet, as long as you are fairly covered up and with sandals/flip flop/shoes on.

There is not a lot of comments on the Paraiso side, sounds like they are still om the process of upgrading that section but everyone can use both sides the Azul and Paraiso. It also sounds like there may be a 24 hr snack bar but it also sounds like it is not food selection and some have commented no food at all.

As for bugs, they are in the middle of a mangrove so there will be bugs, but as someone has commented, Jan and Feb may be drier season so less bugs. If you go Oct and Nov it is a bit more humid so there will be mosquitos for sure.

Souris, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing selection

Thanks Cheryl and it sounds like quite a few are going there this fall so I'm sure there will be more info up soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing selection

Go to this website for info on the restaurants, bars and at very bottom there is some info on dress code:

memoriesresorts.com/memoriesparaiso/cayo-san…

Souris, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing selection

That's awesome !!! ...and it states the dress code is for tha "a la cartes" (which makes more sense to me, as that was how it was at all other resorts we've been to). We are shorts and t-shirt kind of people at breakfast and lunch but do see many in swim wear. Enjoy your trip and be sure to let us know which resort you end up at.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing selection

Thanks....really looking forward to it....will inform of destination as soon as I hear...my review may take me a while though. I like to be thorough.

Toronto
Level Contributor
915 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing selection

We also thinking about booking this package Xmas time...

Is Memories Paraiso really that bad? Reviews are very mixed. The major complain that people expected 5 starts resort and this is not really 5 stars. Other complains like door lock doesn't work, sometimes problems with hot water, long lines in buffets etc, can be applicable to any Cuban resort.

So, we're in doubt, to take the chance with this package and pay $500-600 more and go to Iberostar Daquiry at Cayo Guilermo (where we were 4-5 times and liked it)....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing selection

Hi Gibot.

I have been reading all the reviews for both Memories Azul and Memories Paraiso. You are right , Sunwing has ownership in this property so they can rate it as a 5, it is not and I think that is where some of the negative response it coming from....high expectations and it IS Cuba, they just don't have the same food options as we do in Canada. Another problem is they may claim they are sending you to Paraiso, but when you get there they move you to Azul which can also be misleading and instead of using both sides of the resort, they cram them into one side making it too busy. At least, that is what I get from reading all the reviews...have not been there, may be there in November.