We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Do not hesitate if you have questions!

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Did you like the resort? It sure looks beautiful in pictures!

Did you notice if there is a kids club?

How did you find the food?

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Hello there!

Yes, we quite like it. It very nice, and they are working hard to improve things. It is very new and modern, always keep very clean and the staff is amazing, such nice and charming persons.

There is a kid club, seems very cute, it is close to the main pool and there is a shallow pool for the kiddies. They are even building some cabana at the beach to prove shade, guess parents will be happy, as for now, if your kids want to play in the water, to watch there from the lower level of the beach, there is no shade. When we left, there was a cabana ready.

The food was ok. Some things were truly amazing, some not so much. Didnt saw salad.

But there is always something to eat. The made-to-order station are fantastic, good pasta, pizza, kebabs, and fishs. There made to roder omelette, waffle and pancake for breakfeast.

The meat cuts are weird, but there was nice stew. The chicken is very tasty.

So you wont go hungry, that for sure.

Some people complain about the food, but dont really see why, there were only about 200 persons, they tried their best, and yesh, some thing are lacking, but you can always find something to eat. And the snackbar do nice thing, fresh pizza, burger (made with pork), calmari and shrimp and so long.

Hope that help!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was waiting for you to get back and tell us how you liked it :-) It sounds like a great place, now I just have to wait for Jan 19...............

Hawkesbury, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

If I can add something... on a not so good note, animation crew sucked! for example, we had a basketball game going on in the activities pool and the animation crew stoped it because they wanted us to salsa dance! Guests where having a good time playing but they had to stop us because the "boss" was watching them! They did this a few time during our week there (Aug 31 - sept 7). They did not have any scheduled for animation. First day there was aqua fitness at the beach... wasn't any all week! They need to schedule their activities and put on a board, then the guest would know what to expect for the week! Anyway had a soso time. Wouldn't go back! The food was OK... on my family of 4, 2 were sick most of the week!

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

I dont think we ever saw the animation team. We stay nearly all the time at the quiet spot on the beach.

We didnt get sick at all, but then, we took Dukoral before we went.

On a note tho, beware if you have allergies, as one morning i took a piece of ham, and it smell a bit like fish, which I am allergic too... So i left it there. Boyfriend taste it, and said it taste a bit lit fish. Maybe they put ham next to fish in the freezer, or cut it with the same knife, but someone can get very bad allergic reaction.

In January, i bet it will be nice, as all week, there were people checking thing and lot of talking with people wearing suit and all. We have been asked as well about the thing that should be improve, we said it will be nice to get a binder in room with all the info. When we arrived, we had only a map, and we had no clue about the opening hours of the restaurant and so long.

The food could be improve, the already made stuff. The made-to-order was very nice.

I would not go back, just becuz the Ai is too please the Man, next trip will be Peru or Vietnam backpacking ;) (i hope lol).

ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Was it hot and humid? Even at night? And was there much rain/thunderstorms?

And were you able to dine at the a la cartes as much as you wanted?

I like that it is nice and new.. thinking of going there in a few weeks.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Welcome back, glad to hear you had a good time.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

It was hot and humid, but not as much as it got as some point in Ottawa this summer.

It was about 35C most day, very sunny, and on the beach there was a nice breeze. It felt hotter when we went in town (but thats always the case). In the evening, some were still hot, some were nice and breezy.

We had rain in the night, and once during the day, for about 45 minutes, and it went back being sunny. But for the weather, it is something you cannot predict!

We only did 3 à la carte (the forth one was a sea food, and I am allergic and my fiancé does not lie it). They let people had more, as it wasnt busy, if not, think it depend on the company you travel with.

It is nice, but at some place you do have scuff marks and so long on the wall, guests that are not attentives, rubbing luggage and so long.

The staff are very nice.

Some people got sick, we were fine.

Thanks Sweetmystery! And its a bit chilly here in Ottawa tonight, just went to skate with the dog, and you need a jacket!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Yes it was certainly great weather last week- easily the mid 30's in the afternoons. I was at the Melia Las Dunas and we walked over there via the peublo one night to look around, it seems like a really nice resort. It seems much smaller than Las Dunas, just wondering- do they have a quiet pool where they don't play music?

Hawkesbury, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Yes. There were about 5-6 pools on premises and you could have definetly found a quite spot. It's a beautiful new resort. People be careful of the food! I think that 50% of the people that were there last week had bad diarreah! We would go back!