We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gluten free

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
gluten free

my son has celiacs and i was wondering if there is a better resort over another that provides gluten free food? The last thing i need is for him to be sick on holidays.... so if one has better practices, etc i would love to know.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: gluten free

How old is your son? Only ask as if under 18 there are resorts he could not go to......

To begin with ther amount of gluten they use generally in Cuba is less than here in Canada. I feel like I swallow a beach ball if I eat too much bread here @ home but in Cuba I have little reaction to their bread. That said entirely gluten free is easy in Cuba. The staff and Chef's are well educated. One resort we went to in Holguin is a nice size....not too large so the staff get to know you well. Playa Costa Verde. Any resort is is wise to email them ahead, also include it on your booking information and when you have your chat with the destination rep let them know also and ask for suggestions.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gluten free

my son will be 6 in Oct. I will keep PCV in mind, it has been on my list for years.... I am open to varadero, CSM or holguin.

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gluten free

I've traveled all over while being Celiacs inc to places in Cuba. They are quite good at letting you know what you can and cannot eat. I've never had any issues or accidental consumption. I do travel with goldenseal root in case it happens, but have not needed it.

There will be the usual pasta dishes to avoid, breads, soups are generally fine. It's pretty much visible and when in doubt ask. Good luck!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gluten free

goldenseal root?

can you name a few ai's that you have been to for me to ad to my list? my son i super picky now never mind once we take everything out of his diet.... we just found out so this is all new to us right now. I assume we will need to be at a 4.5 star place to get enough variety since he is so picky as it is never mind once those items are taken out ...

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: gluten free

http://www.livingwithout.com/ you might find this of interest

....." Echinacea and goldenseal may help to speed this process along. These two immune system boosters are often packaged together in capsule form. You may also find Echinacea and goldenseal in combination with slippery elm, marshmallow, geranium, and other herbs. This combination goes by the generic name of Roberts Formula, and is made by a number of manufacturers. Roberts formula treats the digestive tract by creating a beneficial layer of slime that is healing to digestive tissues. Check your local health food store.

Echinacea and goldenseal are important healers because they have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. One cautionary note, however: Dont take these herbs continuously. Generally, two weeks on and two weeks off for a period of up to two months...."

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gluten free

thx for the info and links, i am checking them out now.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gluten free

My daughter is Gluten Free and Lactose amongst other things. Memories Azul was fantastic for her. The chef spoke to her daily. She did call in advance and let them know of her issues and they were more than happy to work with her.

Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gluten free

My husband is celiac, He does bring his own bread but he also brings toaster bags so that he can toast it. The grills are great for making meat right in front of you... He also brought his own pasta,

Cuba is great for those with gluten allergy...

Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gluten free

My husband is celiac, He does bring his own bread but he also brings toaster bags so that he can toast it. The grills are great for making meat right in front of you... He also brought his own pasta,

Cuba is great for those with gluten allergy...

The only thing to defiantly bring is what he eats for breakfast.. He had eggs all week , as that was all he could have

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gluten free

The only resort that I have heard that has an actual gluten free table available with limited choice has been the grand palladiums in the Riviera Maya. You would probably want to bring any bread, cereals,snacks, pasta with you(corn or rice or specific gluten free) for your son. If he was older he could make do with just meat, fruits and vegetables. Sauces would be a no no unless the chef made it for you without wheat flour as a thickener. Contact the resort you decide to go to or contact any which you are interested in going and ask if the chef would be able to accommodate your sons dietary needs. Many resorts are happy to work with you and offer interaction with the chef once you are there, some even give you a card to carry which is shown to the restaurant employees so they are aware of the dietary restrictions. I would also suggest acidophilus pills each day or eat yogurt unless he has a milk intelorance - it helps build up the good bacteria in the gut which helps with digest problems especially if there is any inflammation.