We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

I am travelling to Memories Paraiso next Friday with my spouse and child from a previous marriage. All 3 of us have different last names. We are not married and my child has her fathers last name while I reverted back to my maiden name. Given this, I fully expect to be asked for documentation for my daughter outling permission to leave the country. We have been asked for the travel consent letter in the past when we travelled to Dominican Republic but this is our first time taking her to Cuba.

I plan on having her passport (obviously), the travel consent letter signed by her father and notarized by our lawyer, as well as my separation agreement which outlines custody. Is this sufficient? WIll I run into any problems on either the Canadian or Cuban side? I have misplaced her birth certificate and a new one will not be here in time for departure but I'm assuming that because she has a Canadian Passport this won't be neccessary anyways.

Am I good to go?

hfx
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

sounds like you're good t6o go, good info in this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g580450-i10244-k41…

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

Phew... Thanks for the thread John. Funny that the last time I travelled with her I was only asked at the ticket counter when leaving Canada and not when we re-entered. I'll be prepared this time around to pull out the paperwork when we return to Canada. Also glad to hear that the Cuban officials arent going to be a concern. :)

Thanks again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

We took our boys with us last May to Cuba (not biologically mine) and encountered no problems whatsoever. We had their passports, and a signed and notarized letter from their mother just in case, and weren't asked to see that on either side. Best to be prepared, then no worries! Enjoy your trip!!

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

Thanks Tanwhite! 6 more sleeps... :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

You are good to go. I traveled with my kids to Cuba last March as a single mom. They have their father's last name, different than mine. I had the same documents you have: passports, notarized letter of consent and separation agreement. I was never asked to show the papers but you should never travel without them. :)

Campbellton, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

Last March we travel with our daughter and her friend (both were 17). We had the consent letter from her mother and the separation agreement with us. We were not asked for any documentation but had it just in case. It's better to have everything that you should have and have no trouble at boarders

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

When we went in July, as a family of 4.. my kids were 14 and 22.. they were questioned over and over.. separately, together, then separately again.. Never were we as parents allowed in the area where they were questioned. I couldn't believe the questions they were asking my 14yr old..

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
512 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

GSL,

did that happen while entering Cuba?

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

Curl, you will have No problems at the Cuba end..

My parents have taken our son to Cuba 6 times, and never ever asked a question..

We gave my parents a signed letter, giving them permission, but it was never even looked at. Here is the reply, right from the Cuban Embassy in Canada, when I asked about it!:

Hello! Yes, that letter will be enough, actually it is not a requirenment of the Cuban authorities but it is always a good thing to have just in case.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip in Cuba

Luis Gomez

Embassy of Cuba

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Parent Travelling With Child Into Cuba...

Thanks Gambitt! :)