We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Nearby Villages

New Brunswick
11 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Nearby Villages

I am visiting Cayo Santa Maria next month. Two years ago, a group of us stayed at a resort in Holguin.

While we were there, some of us took a horse and buggy to a nearby village to donate needed items such as clothing and medicines. I would like to do this during mynext visit to Cuba, in Cayo Santa Maria if possible.

I was wondering if anyone has had expereince doing this in the area, or what the options are for off resort travel on our own, and also any suggestions for most needed items.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

IMO leave the gifts /donations at home! However if you want to visit nearby towns you should note that a taxi will be required. You can visit Remedios, Caibarien, Santa Clara.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

caibarien there is nothing to see there ,remedios much better with 2 churches and a square santa clara is much better but more far

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

Cayo Santa Maria is an island at the end of a 40 km causeway, so you are not close to any towns. Caibarien is the first town you come to on the mainland. it is a small fishing village. You could rent a car or take a taxi, and there are also some excursions that take you to Remedios and Santa Clara.

www.cayosantamaria.info/excursions_intro.html

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

WeddingPlanner25:

Cayo Santa Maria is quite remote as it is separated from the mainland by a 48 kilometre long causeway.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

We were in the area 2 years ago. If you take the "town tour", you have time to distribute items to the local people. They come around the bus when you arrive. We had some people our the tour that, had pencils, paper and items for children to hand out. My husband and I left items for the maids as well as cash. At least with the cash they can buy the things they need. We are going back to the area again in February. Have a great trip.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

you want to visit for distribute gifts or for a real tour ?

Edited: 26 January 2013, 17:15
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
15,618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

This topic keeps coming up, but it is strongly my view that visitors should not give out gifts to children who crowd round the tour bus with their hands out.

We can get into a debate on the rest - but what we really need is a list of churches and places like that, that will accept donations.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

Agree with beardo - I certainly wouldn't give anything to people crowding the bus, it only encourages and condones begging. Not that I blame the Cubans for tyring though.

But this behaviour on the part of tourists is so hard to change - a colleague of mine just booked a trip to CSM and the travel agent told her to take things to hand out... Good thing she decided to double-check with me, LOL!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

Those travel agents that suggest that have no idea, grrrr.

Let's pretend that our home towns are favorite places that tourists visit. Every two days a big charter bus pulls up and tourists get out. Children start to mull around the buses and the tourists start to hand out Ipods and personal CD players, camera's, cell phones, etc. Things that would get our kids interested. How long do you think it would be before our kids decide it is more lucrative to just wait for the buses than go to school? If you have a hard time picturing this, just use your imagination.

Parents in Cuba would rather have their children in school than begging from the tourist buses that come through their town.

I agree with beardo and CayoLargo2 take your stuff to a church, the parish priest knows how to distribute "gifts" and the children will stay in school where they should be.

jmho

Have a great vacation.

Bear River, Canada
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Nearby Villages

While we were there, some of us took a horse and buggy to a nearby village to donate needed items such as clothing and medicines.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, how did you know the items were needed. Did you call ahead, your Travel Agent told you, someone else who did the same thing there or somewhere else.

Biggest misunderstanding is that we should all go to Cuba with loads of goodies because they are needed. Leave the items at home or donate them to a charity.