We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Has anyone been to both areas and which do you prefer?

I've been told its quite a ride from airport to santa maria resorts,true?

Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Canada
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

I've to the CSM before and the bus ride will be at least 90 minutes.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Been to both, numerous times. They are both similar but yet something is different .

I can't put my finger on it but I think it is the people that work there.

Could it be the locals of Ciego D'avila province are different than the folks of Villa Clara? Naah!

Why do I like Cayo Coco and Guillermo better than Cayo Ensenachos and Santa Maria?

There are some great hotels on both. I don't mind the bus ride from the Santa Clara Airport. Nice scenery!

Food comparable , Excursions are much the same. Prices for hotel packages too. If you never leave the resort , it wouldn't matter where you stay.

You could probably flip a coin and be very satisfied either way!

I'm pretty sure my comments have not helped you make a decision, but good luck, and have fun picking a Cuban destination!

Salud!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,911 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

With Cayo Coco, the airport is right there on the island.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Thanks for input all.

Was in Varadero last winter and liked going int town and walking all over and checking out local atmosphere.But would also like to check out other areas of Cuba.Love the people.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Been to both, twice. For $$ for $$, I'd go back to Cayo Santa Maria before Cayo Coco. We found the food much better at MCSM and the old Barcelo than Tryp or Colonial. Paid about the same for all. Have not been to Melia at Cayo Coco but i would expect it to be the same as MCSM.

I also like the beach at CSM better although there can be more red flags.

The 90 min bus ride is apparently now down to just over 60 as a new road has been made to bypass Remedios. For the extra 30 min of bus, I think CSM is better. In either case, you are not near the 'locals' as there are no permanent residents on either Cayos. I would argue that Varadero is not 'normal Cuba' either as most residents are quite wealthy by comparison.

For a real 'close to Cuba' experience, I'd do Santiago but I think you will find the quality of food and accommodation to be lower than either Cayo.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Yes, it is quite a ride from the airport to Cayo Santa Maria but it is worth it in my opinion. I'm not sure about the new road but we must not have used it because we just got back Saturday and it was an hour and 45 mins to the resort from the airport.........it's a nice drive though and doesn't seem as long.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

its faster to to to the hotels in cayo coco but the hotels are older than Cayo santa maria (1h30/2h00 ride from airport to the hotels)

the sea really similar

Toronto
Level Contributor
407 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Been to both places and I was looking at my holiday photos today. Cayo Guillermo had better food and better beach for almost the same price and a much shorter bus ride. I only moved on after going to Guillermo 4 times.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,911 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Doug - re 5 - you are saying that the cost to go to MCSM is similar to the Tryp or Colonial Cayo Coco - is that usual ? Were all your trips at the same time of year ?

The resorts at Santiago aren't that close to the city are they ?

Give me a casa in Morón and a day by the Laguna de Leche !

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cayo santa maria or cayo coco

Yes Beardo, Laguna Leche , just up the road. Or is it just down the road? Have you ever been to the Bar/Club, that is buried in the hill?

Obviously, I agree with Beach Guy!