We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

We just got home this morning from the Melia Las Dunas. Third time on the island in 2 years. For some reason...my husband and I were attacked by Mosquitos like crazy. Our kids and friends weren't affected, but I am home and covered in huge bites. We are thinking it may have been something in our room. Never once felt the bites but would wake up covered in them. Very odd.

Any questions I will be happy to respond!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

Perhaps Sand fleas?

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

Heard some people talk about the bugs at Las Dunas.

I can't see just one hotel being effected. We were at Ensenachos end of January and they weren't bad there. Mind you they sprayed/ fogged quite often.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
756 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

We just got back from CSM (at Memories), and had no issues with mosquitos or sand fleas. It would be quite odd for one resort to be more affected than others, unless there's an issue with standing water on the property?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

Hola

perhaps je jejenes, a little tiny fly...with big teeth...they also love my wife

Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

What was odd was that they did fog each night at around 6pm.....and my group of friends and our teens hung out outside out rooms.....nobody had any bites at all but my husband and I.

I tore the bed apart thinking sand fleas...as there was no sign of bed bugs. There was blood in the bed indicating bites but seriously no sign of anything.

This has us stumped. We are feeling totally fine, but the bites are hard and raised...and very itchy. My in laws came by to drop our dog off today and they had the same thing happen in Mexico.

First time for everything.....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

Hola

cut and paste this pic...my wife with the bites...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39609063@N08/3699331954/

cheers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

Hola

forgot to add also, we got back two weeks or so...the wife got more of the same...if they like you, they really like you...early morning and dusk stay away from the garden areas......

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

They look like definite mozzi bites to me, I have actually seen a mozzi land on me and the bite filled with pus like that

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

sand flies / je jejenes you can't see they are that small but there bite is definitely bigger than they are. All you would have had to have done is put your beach towel or bag on the bed and will will scarper in every direction. Your best to go into you room with a new towel and empty your beach bag on the balcony. You get more sand flies near seaweed too, so if you took a walk along the beach and then obvious;y you can be in contact with some that could also be the direct spot for them to hop on board you for a free meal

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Melia Las Dunas...full of bites

cambridgegal099:

Sorry to hear that both you and your husband were bitten so badly. It's funny how some people get bitten and not others. However it does sound like you were bitten in your bed during the night.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria