We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent bad reviews of PCSM

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recent bad reviews of PCSM

Should I be worried?

Looking for some reassurance that I booked a great place. :)

Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

Many Cuban resorts start getting bad reviews when the peak season starts. Some seem to have problems with chronic under staffing. You have to wonder why since they get the lists of incoming clients 7 to 10 days prior and know how busy they will be.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

We were there for 2 weeks and got back on Feb 2. I do agree with some of the negatives (per my review). However, in my opinion it is good value with a very good selection of food and service for the most part was very good and the beach was ok. I would not return to this resort as it wasn't my favourite but that doesn't mean it was bad. I would go with an open mind and just enjoy.................

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

I will be there in 2 weeks and I am going with an open mind. I am there for the sun and the food is not my main concern so hopefully things will be to my liking. It is my opinion that you must look at all the reviews and know that there will be people not satisfied as everyone has different tastes.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 16:59
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

Agree with cairo20 - we were there at the same time.

It was not high season though. I did not write a review of this place, but I do have to wonder where the people who write 5* reviews are coming from because my experience was nowhere near 5* - at best 3*. The bad indeed does outweigh the good IMO and in the end we got what we paid for here. If you can work around the substandard buffet, cleanliness, service (and for the most part we did) you'll have a good vacation. Just prepare yourself for the opportunity that the bad stuff you read might actually be true and is not an exaggeration - because for the most part what I read in criticism of this place is true, at least my experience it was. If anything the glowing 5* reviews may be the exaggeration...

Edited: 25 February 2013, 18:09
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

Not really selling it here guys.... but thanks for the POV.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

why ask then?

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

OK - it's an awesome place, you'll love it.

Is that better?

lol.

Not our job to sell it. I have repeatedly posted exactly the same as 'thewayIseeit'. Better to arrive expecting less and your expectations will be met or better yet, exceeded. Remember, Cuba is cheap (compared to others) for a good reason.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

Not trying to be facetious, but here's the 3* list:

Was the (hot) food cold at the buffet? yes it was

Were the line ups long? yes they were - everywhere

Was it a challenge to find a clean plate? most of the time it was

Did we actually see a bored worker running his fingers through the rice like he was playing with it at the buffet? yes we did - not right no matter what the * rating

Did my wife did get sick from something she ate - first time for that in Cuba in 8 visits? yup...

Were there cockroaches in the room? yes there were

Were the linens and towels permanently stained? yes they were

Was the beach a difficult access? yes it was

Will we go back? nope, not a chance...

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

Just curious, did anybody report that the worker was playing in the rice?

Seeing that would make me see red, not white. Grrrr

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent bad reviews of PCSM

The place ran out of TP and hand soap... yikes! At least they had plenty of hot water, eh...

I remember when the TA slogan was "get the truth then go"

Edited: 25 February 2013, 19:43
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria