We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

Hello - I need your help. We went to Varadero last year (Iberostar Varadero) and had a fabulous time.

We are thinking of going to Cayo Santa Maria this year - perhaps staying at the Royalton.....

Is this a good idea? Can anyone shed some light on the Royalton?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

cayo santa maria no town only 2 fake pueblo nothing to do there

varadero more things to do with a real town and you're close from havana

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

A few things to keep in mind.

Airport to CSM is 90 min. It may be a bit less if the bypass of Remedios is in use. Very nice drive in the daylight and you'll see some of the real Cuba.

CSM is isolated on the end of a long causeway. There is no town nearby but they do have 2 Pueblos where you can get meals/drinks/souveniers. No one lives there, just tourists.

The beach at CSM is awesome but much different than Varadero. Softer white sand.

For us, Varadero is much more like Miami beach, too touristy, too much junk. CSM is much more relaxing but lots of entertainment if you want to help make it.

It's best to read the reviews carefully. Royalton has had some issues lately and some people have been upset. I have not been there but suggest that you check out the Melia's. Sol, MCSM, Las Dunas and Buenavista (in order of $, Sol being cheapest) are very good and more reliable. Just my opinion.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 17:05
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
3,307 Reviews
Cuba
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
2,848 Reviews
Cuba
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

how i feel.... we've been to varadero 4 times already, so now is the good time to check out something else...thats's why csm - march 31... but if you went only once to varadero, or cuba, i would still go to varadero - lots more to do, more variety, experiences... then, when you tire of it - explore csm, but remember - it also depends what you go there for...

we are still coming back to varadero this december with some newbies... :) can't wait to show them the 'sideroads'.... and the goat with red horns /very friendly, though/...

tottenham
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

We stayed at The Royalton in Feb and it was amazing ,food,drinks ,rooms.Yes it is quite and relaxing but that is why your there

Dan/Lisa

Mentioned in this post
3,307 Reviews
Cuba
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

Thank you all for your insight .... much appreciated!!!!

toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

Santa Maria hands down

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria Beach
Santa Maria Beach
1,486 Reviews
Cuba
Renfrew
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

Melia Cayo Santa Maria is our fav. and we have been to Varadero 3 times.

As others have said it is quiet and without the town near the resort but we loved it.

Mentioned in this post
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
4,612 Reviews
Cuba
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
48 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

I have just returned from Royalton (2 weeks). Last four years stayed at Mela Las Americas in Varadero right on golf course. Royalton very quiet and isolated with bland menu. Both have lovely beaches, wonderful people etc. Royalton has new accommodation. Melia seaview rooms are right on top of beach. Royalton seaview not very close. Melia has five restaurants and very big buffet ( no line ups). Both 18plus. Melia has Internet available Royalton does not. Melia close to convention centre with bank, supermarket and regular shops. Royalton near small market and bank. Lots more entertainment at Melia and generally a lively atmosphere. I am a senior but given the choice I would go back to the Melia. Royalton did not have butter for quite a bit of our stay and ran out of bacon. Didn't happen at Melia. If you are looking for a totally quiet vacation go to the Royalton. If you want something with a bit more zip and the ability to visit Havana easily, go to Varadero.

Mentioned in this post
Ontario
Level Contributor
191 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

We have been both places. It is nice to see new places. Cayo Santa Maria has an unspoiled beach and is abit isolated. A 90 minute ride to the airport kind of sucks. We like Cayo Santa Maria very much and if you are not going to Havana it is certainly worth going to and seeing

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: HELP -- Varadero or Cayo Santa Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 05:18