We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

ottawa
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

We just arrived home late last night from Melia las Dunas, Cayo santa Maria. Willing to answer questions about the resort, had a great time. The food was good, however spoke to a lot of people and they did not enjoy the food. The trick is to explore the whole resort and you will find tons of variety. Did not enjoy the buffet but to be honest I never do. But I did find good things to eat in the buffet, I just do not care for buffet style eating. The resort even had poutin, the sauce and cheese was really really good. The last day they must have ran out of fries because they made the poutins with kettle chips, and it still was good.

Yes the towels had rust stains and holes sometimes but that did not bother me at all.

The resort was big and very confusing signs so we did get lost a few times, but eventually figured the resort layout. We got good service overall, but we are easy going. Again a lot of people complained about the lack of service and comparing things to Jamicia and Mexico. I have only been to Cuba for a sunny vacation, so my expectations are not high. I will right a full review later once I have more time.

Perth, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

Hello Ladybug,

Glad to hear you had a great time. We are going to MLD on Wednesday. First time there, second to Cuba, first trip with our son! I think we are much like you, pretty easygoing, don't sweat the small stuff. We would gladly accept any info, tips , insight, etc. you might be able to offer. The only specific question I can think of right now is: is the first sitting for the a la cartes the quickest to book up. When it was just the two of us, it didn't matter, but with a 15 month old, anything later is too late for him. Hope you don't mind if I message if I think of something else.

Thanks

ottawa
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

Hello, Shawmere

Not sure of the earliest sitting was for the al a Cartes, the earliest we had was 7, I just basically took what they could give me. With our plan we only were given 3 al a Cartes, if you upgraded toa supreme room you had 4. The Romantico was excellent had the steak dish. I never got to try the Oriental however was told it was very good also. The al a Cartes desk told me to check in later in the day because they get cancellations, but I never bothered checking it out. The buffet for dinner only opened at 7 which I thought was very late for families with children. Good place for lunch and breakfast was the snack bar beside the relax pool, breakfast opened at 10:00. The relax pool is on the adults side, but I did see children eating all the time in this place at lunch. They have a bar-b-que going at lunch between the 24hr beer garden and seafood resturant. They barbequed chicken, steak,pork, sausage, fish and rice dishes very good also.

Some rooms kept loosing power on the adults side, I only noticed it once in our room, you might want to pack a flashlight. The outages did not last long but with a young child best be prepared.

Shade at the beach will be hard to find, like all resorts people put their towels down and never use the space. The pools had tons of shade, I never got up early to reserve a spot.

I like the system for the hobby cats,paddle boats no reservations required just walk over and wait your turn. The guys working had the hobby cats out in the water all the time, so the wait was not long the 2 times I went for a ride.

No problem if you think of other questions.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,714 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

The earliest a la carte is at 6.30 pm, if it is a problem to eat late then tell them this.

The buffet opens at 7 pm, so you have to eat at the time of opening.

There is the beer garden , but don't know if a 15 month old is able to eat that sort of menu.

Preston, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

Hello :)

Just what was it like... Im going for the first time this summer and amvery worried after reading some reviews.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,714 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

What are you worried about ?

Reviews are opinions by others.

What some like others dont.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
199 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

I went there twice last year and it was great.

I would have gone back again but my friend I'm traveling with is worried about "Cuba food" and wants to go to iberostar ensenachos.

The food at las dunas was good IMO. My favorites: omelets, roast pig, braised beef, and the pizzas were great.

This reminds me I haven't posted my review...

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
422 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

We just booked a last minute deal - this is our 3rd visit in 13 months!!! We really enjoy it here! We find the food to be very good.

Mississauga...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

Hi there, I am going to this resort in May for one week. Overall did you have a good week there? Some of the reviews are wonderful about this resort and others say they had a bad week, poor service, no towels, lots of walking as the resort is so big. Did you do any excursions while you were there, if so, where?

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,714 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

May is a good time to visit.

It is quieter and the problems mentioned in reviews tend to calm down as the vast numbers are not there.

Level Contributor
614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Melia las dunas, willing to answer questions.

Ladybug69,

Glad to see you had a good time and ate well, not knowing your tastes, mine really fussy but I always find I am able to create a good plate of food. Although I don't fly hundreds of miles for a plate of cholesterol and atherosclerosis.

Just googled poutine to discover what the fuss is about and found the most disgusting eatery in my opinion in canada; 24 varieties! !!

http://labanquise.com/menu-poutine.php

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria