We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

A few months ago, during the off season I booked at Eurostars Cayo Santa Maria when it had amazing reviews.

Now that it's high season it seems like all the reviews being posted for this hotel are bad. The staff is untrained, the food is bad, and the service is slow.

We're already booked, and we need this vacation so badly!! Anything we can bring/do to make it as nice as possible? Also any positive comments about this place from anyone who has stayed here this month?

Montreal
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

We’ll be there Jan 17-24 we could set up a meeting at your arrival and if I’m not there you’ll know that I either starved to death or was eaten alive by the evil mosquitoes lol!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

Bring your best attitude and remember this is a new place.

Most bad reviews are about unrealized expectations. New resorts have a bad habit of promising more than they can do. There should be a list somewhere but this happens over and over again in Cuba where lots of people book new hotels, because they are new but before they're ready.

Eurostars may get it all together sooner than the others. It looks like a great property.

When are you going?

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

Like Spunky says- the only thing that you can bring, that will determine your experience, is your attitude.

Yes, the latest reviews suck.. Does that mean that things are not looking up now? Nope. Things change quickly. I went to PCV and disaster hit there a few weeks before with tons of horrible reviews. I stressed like crazy, wanted to change hotels, and we went and none of the issues existed anymore.

Keep in mind as well, that when there are service problems, guests tend to complain, getting other guests upset, creating a group of angry people that feed on eachothers dissatisfaction, likely making the experience a whole lot worse than it is. Pack your smile, your patience and enjoy the sunshine while we freezes our a$$es off at home.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

If I were you I would not worry I heard that the Christmas and New Years was very busy at this location and it is newly opened so there are always issues when such a new place goes through their big first busy time of year. Most of the previous reviews were good. A good friend recommend it to me. A lot of people get treated by how their attittude is towards others so be kind and and considerate towards the staff and you will be well taken care of. Cuban people go out of their way to please. I hope you enjoy your vacation we are there starting this Saturday so I can let you know our experience there ok?

hfx
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

sometimes it's helpful to remember that an optimist cannot be pleasantly surprised

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

Nor a pessimist underwhelmed.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

I am going january 21st - a week from today!!

Edited: 14 January 2014, 20:27
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

We too are going on the 21st. We also are hoping they get their act together before we get there .

Ontario
Level Contributor
342 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

We too are going on a family vacation leaving Feb 15 with our 3 sons in their 20's. The reviews are disappointing but it will not stop us from having a good time. Like everyone has said, alot is in your attitude. Not saying that those who have left negative reviews all have bad attitudes....everyone works very hard for their winter vacations in paradise, and its hard when the end result doesn't live up to your expectations. So, in a way, those of us that have already booked are lucky! We have the advance warning of not expecting too much, and maybe, just maybe, we will be pleasantly surprised! :)

I know a few things i am going to do that may help...

1. Bring our own towels in case they don't have any

2. Bring a big mug so we don't have to make as many trips to the bar and spend less time waiting in line

3. Expect NOT to get the ocean view room we paid extra for everyone to have....I will try to sort that out when I come home tanned from our vacation. MOST travel companies are good to come clean on reimbursing for what you didn't receive. And if they dont...well, at least I was fortunate enough to get a Caribbean vacation...many people aren't that fortunate. (How am I doing on my positive attitude??)

4. Maybe pack some snacks and spices in case the food is as bad as everyone says

5. Pack extra patience

Please feel free to add to my list :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to have a good time at a bad all inclusive? (Eurostars)

Thank you for the pep talk-it does make me feel better. Especially from ontariohockeymom. You can make the best of the situation. We were at Cayo Santa Maria last Feb (different resort) and the beach is the most amazing I've ever seen! I too will be traveling with 3 in their 20's. We arrive late on Feb.16.