We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

winnipeg, manitoba...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

I emailed the resort and the head office in Spain to express my concerns about our upcoming trip departing Winnipeg on Feb 14th. Got the standard "we're working to address concerns and assure you your stay will be memorable"...yadda yadda from head office in Spain. A couple of days later I recieved an email directly from the resort from Ricardo Front Operations Manager(who by all accounts was able to assist guests with complaints better than other staff) I had stated that it was my intention to post the response on this site so here it goes:

First of all we want to thank you for choosing us for your vacation.

I want to answer your questions over your own email for me not to forget any of your doubts:

1) Hot food in the buffet is only warm but generally cold (health risk)

and the food in general being very poor and frequently making people sick.

Long lines of over one hour to get a pizza at the snack bar or cook to order eggs and meats at the buffets.

Ricardo's response "There are no health risks in the cold food, but of course our main purpose is to offer you not only a safe food but a warm and tasty one. So the Chef is checking by himself the temperature of the food in the buffets. We are quite sure to tell you that we guarantee our food as a safe one; we can not risk that vital matter, and people who got sick was unique cases, because if it were have been the food it would have been no room in the hospital for them with 1300 guests, so please trust our controls in the kitchen. The lines appear when we are offering a personal service in the buffet, like a la carte omelette, pasta or pizza; but we are making some changes to avoid that and improve your experience in the restaurants".

2) Towels and sheets not changed for days on end.

Ricardo's response "We had a big problem with the central laundry and now it is solved".

3) No Cuban pesos for tourist so we can buy products in Cuba and tip resort staff, a pay the 25 CUC mandatory departure tax when leaving Cuba at the airport.

Ricardo's response "At the airport there is a 24/7 bank service, but we have change the amount of currency that we have in the hotel to satisfy our guests needs".

4) Poor cooking methods like using the same utensils that were used to put raw chicken on the grill and using this same utensil to take cooked meat off the grill. (May be why so many people are vomiting or have stomach illness)

Ricardo's response "Those cooking methods are completely forbidden and in case we see that kind of bad behavior from a cook it carries a hard disciplinary action".

We look forward to meeting you and your family in our Hotel and please do not hesitate to ask further questions directly to this address.

We are working day by day improving our services and achieve the Eurostars standards of quality and we hope you give us the opportunity in the near future to see by yourself our improvements.

So here's what I'm thinking...they have acknowledged that issues exist and are presently working to rectify them to the best of their ability given Cuba's internal constraints. I knew this was a new resort and with that growing pains occur, often to the discomfort of resort guests, but i knew that going into the deal.

Most if not all guests state that the resort itself is great: the ocean/beach is beautiful with white sandy beach (the chair reservation game occurs at most resorts), the rooms are clean and modern and things in the rooms work well (don't plan on using the phone anyway), and the pools are amazing. These are the most important things for our family and I can live with the rest of the issues that exist. I'm going with an open mind, determined to make this vacation memorable for my family and won't sweat the other stuff. I frequently go camping in the wilderness with the family and we love it so I feel assured it will at least be a step above that (LOL). If you are coming to the resort over the same time period Feb 14 (Midnight arrival) to Feb 22 and are arriving with a similiar attitude please say hello; if you can only find fault with the resort then kindly do not interrupt our stay at the Eurostar Resort. Our family consists of my wife and I, early 50's and my 3 sons 23, 20, and 17. Cheers to all, and remember, attitude is everything!!!!!

Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Scenic Walking Areas, Churches & Cathedrals, Historic Sites, Sacred & Religious Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Level Contributor
150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Thank you for sharing..... :). Hope your trip is a memorable one for all the right reasons,

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,551 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Thanks so much for posting. I expect that many visitors will be asking to meet Ricardo and thank him for his efforts to reassure us.

Ontario
Level Contributor
351 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

we will be there Feb 15-22, maybe see you there!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
923 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Strattoncamily... With your attitude you will have a great vacation... Seems like what is important to you is already fine, and the resort is taking care of a main issue..food..prep etc.

I look forward to hearing your review when your back...

Here's hoping that your family vacation is awesome :)

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Great post and thanks for the research. If more people complained properly and in a timely manner, I really think that Cuba would be a much better place to go on a holiday.

Food prep has been a beef of mine for some time. The real problem is that too many Canadians are ignorant of safe food handling and even if they are aware (like me), most are very reluctant to cause a scene and risk a disruption to their holiday. I have heard numerous posts of people who have complained to mgmt and word gets around very fast to the staff and that person is not treated well all week. I have also gotten the mean treatment when I have asked for undercooked meat to be cooked more. I just move elsewhere on the buffet. There's a reason why there is always a line-up at the pasta station and it's not because the pasta is awesome.

Before someone blasts me, safe food handling is a problem everywhere. I've personally fired staff in Canada who were warned multiple times and still disregard safe food handling procedures. You know they got a job at another restaurant the next day. That's why so many restaurant chains cook frozen food, not fresh. No taste but no food poisoning either.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Hey we recieved a letter from Ricardo for our comments from Jan7th -Jan14th. Yes the resort does present all the favourable items such as beach, pools, bars and overall atmosphere of a very good resort. Unfortunately the front desk workers, customer service, waiters and bartenders, bank staff, tour represenatatives don't have the experience to handle the expanded number of guests. The cooks at the grill stations have no regard for safe food handling procedures. They don't have enough staff, and their waiters for the most part are not experienced enough to handle the number of guests that they now have. We frequently were at the front desk to ask for service in regard to towels, room keys requiring reprogramming, patio doors needing repair, safety deposit boxes that needed reprogramming. We also had frequent contact with the front desk and customer service and this personal frequently lied to your face and gave out false information just to get rid of you.

In Ricardo's letter he mentioned that all these things have been solved. BUT, this did nothing to improve the frustration of our stay. I will continue to monitor the complaints after the 14th. of January and many of the same comments will appear even into February. They have overbooked and these are false promises duplicating the comments heard multiple times from personal at the front desk.

In closing you will probably get the same letter, if you have any of the similar complaints registered by Strattoncamily, but are they going to help after their vacation is not relaxing and stress free.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Typically, when many Cuban resorts are overbooked, they do not add enough staff (or any) to alleviate the situation. It's a common complaint. When they are underbooked, they typically close restaurants, even the buffet, some bars and entertainment.

I have also had hostile responses, outright lies and complete lack of caring or understanding from Front Desk staff. Usually, a big smile, extra kind words or even a small tip will help but not always. I had a Front Desk Mgr. get hostile at me on checkout because they had neglected to ask for my credit card on check-in and he demanded that he swipe my card, even though I owed nothing. Ya, right! Another time we were at a resort where you had to change money at the front desk and the guy was standing there with a pile of CUC's in his fist and he has the audacity to say,"I'm sorry, we are all out of CUC's, you'll have to come back tomorrow". That did not go over well!

It seems many of the Front Desk staff are there to direct traffic. My work around is to drink more rum and the problems seem to be less critical.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Thanks for sharing!

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

re: my post #7. I was giving a general reply to typical Cuban resorts. I have not been to Eurostars in case someone reads it that way. Just to clarify.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Euorstar's Response to Concerns From Guests Lately

Thanks for the update! We don't travel until April so we look forward to seeing what happens and reading upcoming reviews. But regardless we plan to make the most of it and keep our fingers crossed that the customer service, food handling and sanitation issues are rectified well in advance for everyone travelling before us to enjoy their vacation!!!. Bon Voyage!