We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delfinario and other excursions

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Delfinario and other excursions

We will be staying at the Husa from Feb 25-Mar 4 with our 5 year old daughter. Wondering if anyone has any advice for child-friendly excursions? Do they allow children on the catamaran excursion? And I thought I read a review that mentioned there you have to be 8yrs+ to do swimming with the dolphins at the Delfinario- is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
nova scotia
Level Contributor
245 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

Please don't teach your children that animal cruelty is okay as long as it's fun. Why not try the jeep day trip?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

Actually, thank you for that. I already had doubts about whether I was comfortable with going there. You are right.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

Leaning towards the Speedboats that were mentioned in another post today. Looks fun!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
766 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

The catamaran trip is great for kids. My daughter started doing them when she was 6. Teaching a six year old to snorkel is an adventure in itself. She loved all of it.

The new Dolphinarium is a really great facility. The trainers take very good care of those animals, and it shows. My daughter did do the dolphin interaction, again she loved it. The actual swim though, I've only seen adults doing it.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
245 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

The last couple of years I boycotted the catamaran simply because it was 'packaged' with the dolphin meet n' greet etc. When I asked for JUST the catamaran, they said it is bundled with the dolphins as it is at the same location. I refused to hand over money to in-turn support animal cruelty.

In the open ocean, dolphins travel 40-80 miles a day; they certainly are not doing that there. Many of these dolphins die. They are simply just there as a money maker; they are NOT having fun. Here is quick video that explains why I feel the way I do. http://youtu.be/30Nm5uv292g

" If you knew dolphins were literally dying to entertain you - would you still pay to go see them? "

Edited: 28 January 2014, 12:18
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

Tip - if you want to see the dolphin show the cheapest way of doing so is by taking the double decker bus from outside your hotel lobby for 1CUC and go to the marina - the walk up entrance fee is only 5CUC per person !! The show is really good too and you can't beat the price!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

FundyCoast - you suggested a Jeep excursion, but not sure if you noticed in the description:

"..Make a stop at a farm where you will visit a breeding fighting cock"

And from another companys Jeep excursion:

"Stay in a rural property and watch a cock fight show..."

Um, no thanks. Unless you know of others?

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,443 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

Post 7.

that is what I thought.

When TCwent there they did do a no cock fight trip.

Maybe if you say you dont want to do that they will take your jeep else where.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
245 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

We made it very clear that we did NOT want to witness any cock fights regardless if they had 'gloves' on their spur's or not. It was a NON ISSUE, and we didn't even go near it. The tour guides were very used to tourists saying no to animal cruelty.

vancouver
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Delfinario and other excursions

has anyone done the overnight tour to trinidad ?? my wife an I will be at the MLD for 2 weeks, feb 11-25 , it looks like an interesting trip for 2 middle aged adults lol