We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxes Up !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Taxes Up !

Just wondering when the taxes went up to $315 from $280. for our 1 week vacations. I just noticed recently, however maybe they went up months ago. This must be another rip off cash grab on top of the prices being raised because of the recent drop in the CND $ ?? I still think it's all an excuse to make more $ by the tour operators.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxes Up !

Several companies warned that prices were going up as a result of the lowering value of the Canadian dollar as well as the rising cost of fuel. They went up a week or so ago.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxes Up !

Even with the taxes up a little it is still a great deal heading to Cuba from Canada (especially Toronto). Figure out what a week would cost you in a local hotel, now add in your meals, drinks and 24hr snacks. Now chuck in 4.5 hour plane ride and with that mix in a little sun and sand and you will see is is a great deal regardless of the $40 tax increase to offset rising fuel prices and a sinking Loonie!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxes Up !

As Islander has mentioned some tour ops put in a currency surcharge of $35/leg of your journey. Now if you look at the breakdown of taxes you'll notice that a majority of taxes are NOT the airline/tour op. The bulk are gov't taxes. GST ,HST, Nav Canada, Security tax, Airport improvement tax, Fees for landing in airports. Most the tour ops make the extras on upgrades in class, fuel surcharges, and paying for your seat. And no I don't work for a airline or tour op.

Cheers

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxes Up !

Good idea to make sure everyone knows you're not affiliated with an airline bergerman. Every time someone speaks at all on behalf of an airline, they seem to get accused of being an employee :) I'll never fully understand how they determine the taxes. Companies like Westjet will have $90 in taxes, SW or AC more like $300. However, the fare is much more usually I find from Westjet. It all works out to be the same in the end, the final price is all that matters.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 18:28
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxes Up !

Ac vacations 1 week trip Mid march to Cayo Coco.

Taxes are $69.91.

I always look at the total price. Taxes don't seem to have a specific formula.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxes Up !

I suspect that the lower taxes on certain airlines/tour ops is likely the volume of airplanes in and out of a airport. Volume versus cost in tax. No sure but likely.In the end does taxes really determine whether or not you'll take that trip. Likely not.

Cheers

Cheers

Edited: 01 February 2014, 18:48
Algonquin...
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxes Up !

Big scam taxes low = trip high taxes high = trip low.

Only what you pay total in the end is all that matters.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxes Up !

It's still a cash grab, no matter which way you slice it. The base price of the vacation ( from AT Holidays ) has been raised, so the CND $ decrease is covered. Then they put up the entire tax & fee base by 12 %.

The taxes are less then $100 bucks leaving Toronto ( US vs CND Ex does not apply ) so there is another $180. for other fees and fuel surcharges. If the fuel surcharge is $100 out of the $180, a 10% change in the CND $ is $10 bucks when I went to school not $35. Tough winter for all us canucks and the tour operators know it. Bam !

Level Contributor
588 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxes Up !

Oh deary me, shouldn't really look at prices for selloffvacations again and again. Since booking, ours has risen 800 cdn$ for 4 people (taxes included of course).

That's a 17% rise.

Beat that :-)

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxes Up !

I understand nobody likes prices to rise but you clearly skipped over the previous replies. There are so many different items that the average consumer doesn't see being taxed. There are airport taxes, for example, which vary widely. Like others have said, look at the final price, that's all the really matters.

"Oh deary me, shouldn't really look at prices for selloffvacations again and again. Since booking, ours has risen 800 cdn$ for 4 people (taxes included of course).

That's a 17% rise.

Beat that :-)"

Couple years ago we booked a trip for 2 with SW and watched as it went from the $700/person+taxes we paid to almost $1300/person+taxes before selling out completely. That good enough? :)

Edited: 02 February 2014, 16:42