We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in Greece/Italy

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
329 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling in Greece/Italy

I am planning my first trip to Greece/Italy for September of this year, and I would like to know what the best way to do this. I have heard a cruise is best, but I don't know how I feel about a cruise. I just getting to my destination, and exploring at my leisure. We would like to go to Venice, and then see parts of Greece, although I am not sure of the best places to visit there. Can anyone give me suggestions, on not just where to go, but how to get there? We plan for our trip to be 10 days- 2 weeks long; is it feasible to travel to these destinations in this time frame, and have the time to really experience each place?

Thanks for the help!

Dryden, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

Think you might want to pull out the world map Greece and Italy are just a tad thousand miles away from Cuba.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

Cruise ship is a great way to see these places as i have down it and sure would do it again .

Try the Greek or Italian forum and you may get help that you are looking for as you are in the Cuban forum as your not going to get much help here .

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

Wrong forum but since you are here now, here's your answer:

Cruise ships will show you a few highlights of popular tourist cities. When the ships arrive, the prices go up and the city is filled with ship people. You will not see much at all.

We did a 19 day trip a year ago and planned on spending at least 5 days of it in Greece. After a great deal of planning, I could not fit Greece in.

Our goal was to see as much of Italy as we could in the first trip with the hope of going back to the places we loved the most. I recognized that I also had to allow time to stop and enjoy Italy and not make it as rushed as the schedule had become. There was hundreds of hours of research and keeping the price down was paramount.

We flew to Venice, spent a few days there, then picked up our pre-arranged rental car and drove to the Dolomites, Lake Garda, then Cinque Terre, Venice, 5 days in Tuscany, then 4 days in Amalfi coast and finally 2 days in Rome. Lots of other stops but you get the idea.

The most memorable parts were Venice, Dolomites which are the Italian Alps, the Vatican, even though I am not Catholic and the ruins at Pompei.

For a max of 2 weeks, I'd start in Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence and then fly out of Rome.

If you are searching the Italian forum on TA, keep in mind that everyone there travels by rail and wants you to spend at least a week in each of Venice/Rome/Florence. Many will spend a week in museums. That's not us. I gave up posting there. Rail is good if you just want to see the main cities. We love the country and dislike the cities, so car rental was mandatory for us.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

"Wow,What a cruise !, Greece ,Cuba,and then back too Italy!."

5. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:42
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

Forgot to mention. For most of Italy, Sept. is still high season. We went in late Oct. and prices were a bit lower but everything was crowded everywhere. Even Cinque Terre was very busy and I had trouble finding accommodation. It's not too early to be booking hotels right now.

You will be find hotel prices in Venice to be astronomic. We found a B&B on a nearby island and used the water taxis.

Many of the smaller Greek islands pretty well shut down as soon as the tourists leave in later Sept.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

"Wow this is how a forum should be!, all central. you think of a holiday place?,and you just talk about it!. I think there' should be a :APP, for that!, if it appears it's my( patent)...

8. Re: Traveling in Greece/Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Santa Maria