We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to send my old parents! :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to send my old parents! :)

Hello

My Dad is making noise about going to Cuba for his and my Mom's 50th anniversary this spring. He doesn't get around all that well so somewhere with a sand beach (ie. not rocky or coral entry)and relatively small property would be best. Also, knowing my parents and their love of peace and quiet, is Santa Maria a good part of Cuba to go? Would somewhere else be better? They would not be fans of pumping music at the pool all day but I'm not sure such a place exists. I'm not sending them to Varadero, I've been to Cayo Largo but don't think it's for them....any suggestions? Also, somewhere with at least a medical clinic would ease my mind....If it had any sort of small town nearby with churches and such to take pictures of they'd like that.

Thanks in advance!

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,550 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

Since you are posting on the Cayo Santa Maria forum, may I suggest the Royalton? Relatively small, adults only. Beach is sand, no coral. Good reviews.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

I would also suggest the Royalton. A small, adults only resort with butler service. It also has a good beach, no coral and you can go out quite a ways before it gets deep. It also has 2 pools, and 2 bars but they are not swim up bars. For medical services there is the international clinic on the cayo. If your parents want peace and quiet look no further. No booming music around the pools either. The food is also pretty good.

The towns are not close unfortunately as the cayos are separated by the causeway which is about 46km.

We were there last May and enjoyed it so much we are thinking of going again this year. Do some research on it and let us know what you come up with.

Good luck in your choice, hope this helps.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

we feel the same as your parents we wanted just a quiet place to sit in the sun and relax. We decided on Royalton and look forward to our first trip there in may

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

A resort and a nearby architecturally interesting town is a big ask in Cuba. Have you considered Playa Ancon and the very close city (World Heritage) of Trinidad?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

Since you mentioned Cayo Largo, the Villas Marinera might be perfect.

It's in the Pueblo, lots of things going on, Marina, shops, vendors, waterfront for views, motorboat rentals and shore walks. Bowling alley across the street. museum, turtle hatchery, jewellery store, 2CUC taxi's everywhere and the use of Playa Blanca's facilities, tienda and restaurants with free transport.

Did I mention, 4 minutes from the airport and across the street from a low fee bank?

Then, there's the rest of Cayo Largo on top of all of this.

A different way to look at Cayo Largo, eh?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

Welcome back spunky....you took a few days off the forum....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

From what I've been reading the Iberostar Ensenachos in the Grand Village section would be perfect for your parents. Quiet, secluded, great service. It's basically beside Santa Maria on it's own island. Check it out.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

10th March is looking pretty good, eh, Grapenut?

Have a Blast!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

What are you doing that week? :-)

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,647 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to send my old parents! :)

Post 7.

The OP said they are looking for a relatively small place.

IBE is far from small.

It is something you do not know as you have not been yet.

:)