We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

Last year we got seat selection for our big group but this year we decided to wing it since it is just the four of us and see what happens but I am starting to think this may be a bad idea as i have two kids with us. How likely is it that we will be split apart...all four of us? Do you know if at your departing airport they pick your return seats or do you only get the return seats when you leave Cuba. thanks again amigos!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Iglesia San Juan Bautista de Remedios
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
ottawa
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

It's a chance you take, as more and more people are booking their seats their ways, in advance. Just a cash grab by the airlines as far as I am concerned. Never had a problem in the past, but now it seems that even finding two seats together at the airport is becoming a problem. Personally, I think the airlines are trying to force people to pay and so won't give you two seats together even if they are available or will give you two seats near the bathroom at the back. This has happened to us twice recently.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

Agree with everything no. 1 says.

To answer your other question, if you don't pre-select your seats they will be assigned by the check-in agent in Cuba.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

Don't most airline now allow you to pre-book your seats free with on-line check-in the day you're departing? By the time you get to the actual airport it's far too late to have much choice left.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

Canjet does not. I think sunwing does though.

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

Not much selection 24 hours in advance as everyone else has already paid to prebook their seats for fear of not getting what they want... $ money grab!! I refuse to prebook on principle -- it's a short flight. If we don't stand up for something, we fall for everything, and I am not going to pay an extra $60 for seats. Maybe if we all refused to prebook after awhile this money grab would go away.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

I myself have always considered PAYING for my seat selection just part of my flying experience. There is no way I'm leaving that up to the check in person. lol

I happen to be tall and I have no problem paying to sit where I want to sit. I know lots of people that go REAL early and have a better chance without pre booking but I don't buy into the conspiracy theory about the airline intentionally splitting people up . That makes no sense to me at all.

LENNY

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

At least they can't have everyone sit in the back by the bathroom can they?

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

Lenny, I don't think they intentionally split people up, but I do think they give you, "not the best seats". Just my opinion.

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

We have never pre-booked the seats.

What we have found is the other groups who were split up who did not pre book and then swapped out seats to get our group together.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you know what happens if you don't get seat selection?

I really dont want to prebook cause it's going to be an extra $120 for the four of us and btw, if you want window seat it's 5 dollars more! LOL! but considering i have young ones with me I would hate to see what happens if all four of us get split up. I am more worried about the return from Cuba because I planned to get to the airport really early when departing!!! Also, so far it's not too booked up so maybe I will wait a little longer and see what the seats look like!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean