We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

We are heading to this resort August 2 to 9th, 2014. What about tipping? In the past we used US$ but I'm reading they prefer Canadian $$ if you don't get time to exchange in to their pesos.

Does the hotel exchange money in to their CU pesos? I hate exchanging at the airport because two time the girl ripped us off and another couple we were with and when we argued that we gave her a $100 bill, she said no you didn't….and next thing armed police are at your back, so you don't argue…..

We do like to tip every one on the resort from maids, gardeners etc.

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
#1 of 18 hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 18 hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

They prefer Cuban pesos. If you don't want to exchange at the airport, exchange at the hotel.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

If you can avoid it, do not tip in Canadian coins- they cannot exchange it.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
103,455 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

You really need to tip in CUC's (Cuban Convertible Pesos). Take Canadian dollars with you and change those at the airport cadeca or at your hotel. Do not take US dollars as this currency is subjected to a 10% surcharge. Also do not tip in loonies or toonies as these cannot be exchanged in Cuba.

My advice would be to exchange a small amount (£10 or $20) at the airport cadeca so you have some Cuban currency for tipping.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Almost every resort I have stayed at does the exchange at the counter or has a seperate area where they do it.

I agree, I don't ever do it at the airport. Between the long line up, feeling rushed, trying to catch the bus out and grab some beers for the ride, I just don't ever bother at the airport.

And yes, they would much prefer the Cad to the USD, but the CUC is the standard of course.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Change your money at the 'Bank' in resort.

They always have plenty of 1 CUC coins or notes. Use these

6. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 14:35
7. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:15