We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

Which Are hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

Hi. We are taking the kids (boys, aged 7 and 9) for their first ski holiday during the Easter holidays. We also want to try dog sledding and snowmobiling. Can anybody recommend any dog-sled and snowmobile companies to contact? Any other recommendation for kid-friendly activities would be welcome, just in case they hate skiing!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

These guys: http://www.campare.se/english and these guys: http://www.exploreare.se/ (only in Swedish, but you can choose your language on the right hand side and get Google Translate to translate the page (far from perfect, but mostly understandable), do a lot of things in and around Are.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

Thanks. Have emailed both. Do you have experience of either company's activities?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

Fraid not. Have only done skiing in Are.

Sweden
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

We came back from Åre day before yesterday. Terrible weather - warm, wind and RAIN every day. If it is not getting colder soon I wonder if dog-sledging is possible at all.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 18:42
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

Uh-oh! Sounds like I'll be packing wellies instead of snow boots! Hopefully it will improve before the 8th!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

You can check how it's in real time on the many webcams placed around Are - www.webbkameror.se/skidkameror/are/index.php

Also the weather forecast for the next 10 days is predicting sub-zero temperatures and fresh snow from next Thursday.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 16:09
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

Fantastic holiday! My two boys now want to relocate to Sweden on the strength of this past week! I think there had been a reasonable snowfall before we arrived, so the skiing was awesome, the slopes were practically empty, and there were no lift queues. My boys had a ball. Are-Bjornen has to be the most kid-focussed ski resort I have ever visited. Everyone was really friendly, the instructors were superb, and I can't recommend it enough. We went dog sledding with Are Dogsledding booked through Camp Are, and I wish we had done a whole day rather than just two hours because it was, to quote my 7-year-old, "the most awesome thing I have ever done!". And the hotel (Copperhill Mountain Resort) was superb - but I will go and post a review on their site. Thanks for all your advice!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

Thanks so much for coming back to comment about your experience. We will be there in Feb 2016 and I am trying to plan the week with our 4 kids. Sounds like an amazing week!

9. Re: Family dogsledding and snowmobiling in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2016, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Are