We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

Which Pakse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

Well, my trip is getting ever so closer, so last few preparation and planning need to be done.

I want to explore the Bolaven plateau for three days or so on a bike. I have been on bikes before, but not that often, so I rather want to ensure that I hire a bike in a good condition. So I wonder if anyone could recommend a reputable agent that offers motorbike hire (in a good condition). Also, do some offer automatic bikes, or only semi-automatic?

Secondly, I was advised that it is cooler on the plateau. Living in Scotland cold has probably a different meaning than in Laos. Would a thin jumper be sufficient? Trying to keep the weight of my bags to a minimum, and only want to take what I really need. However, wouldn't like being cold.

Finally, does any one have a nice recommendation for a guesthouse in Pakse (around $10-15)?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

we visited Bolavan Plateau for a day trip last November and it was not cool by UK standards, however, we did not stay overnight.. We wore shorts and T shirts for the whole month in Laos even in Phonsavan which is always described as being cool.

I have never ridden a motorbike but assume that you would need some more substantial clothing to keep out the wind and offer some protection in case of a fall.

We always travel from the UK wearing a fleece and zip off trousers but also throw in a long sleeve top just incase . We always bring old clothes and leave them behind towards the end of the trip.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

When I was there back in December of 2007, it was bloody cold at night. I stayed at Tad Fane lodge and I wore my winter clothes I brought with me from Japan. Guess it depends on the weather that year and aslo the elevation, but I'd still bring warm garments to err on the safe side.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

Thanks for the comments.

I will have a jumper with me for the plane (maybe take a slightly thicker one just in case), and have long trousers with me anyway, so this will hopefully be enough. I can always wear two shirts underneath the jumper.

It would be great If anyone could recommend a guesthouse and a motorbike rental in Pakse as well.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

The Lankham guesthouse is one of the originals and has one of the most comprehensive tour agencies in town. They also rent bikes - I have rented their motorbikes before and it was in good condition - and I have 3 of my own so know when something is wrong.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

Thanks again, I will check their bikes first. Really looking forward to the trip now. 2 more weeks....

6. Re: Trip to the Bolaven Plateau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:19