We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How difficult is the W trek?

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 post
Save Topic
How difficult is the W trek?

I'm doing the W trek in Chile Patagonia in November as part of a round-the-world tour. We will be camping in the evenings (not staying in the refugios).

Does anyone know how difficult the trek is? We'll be carrying our backpacker's backpacks with us the whole way, and my boyfriend will be carrying the tent/camping equipment... I've got a lot of stamina (do marathons, duathlons etc) but not much strength. My boyfriend will be fine it's just me I'm concerned about! I've climbed Scafell Pike (the hard way) and Snowden before but not carrying a backpack.

Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How difficult is the W trek?

If you do marathons, duathlo, you should not have any problems with te W.

Trekking is a nice activity, more contemplative than stressing.

Some people gets stressed when they know they have to walk 9 hours, but is not that much as you may think.

Very important is to wear indicate clothes and shoes as well as an apropiate backpack.

Enjoy it !!!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How difficult is the W trek?

Try and get some practice in with a backpack before you get to Chile. Carrying a pack is very different to going 'light engine' - especially up hill! Make sure your pack is comfortable and fits well.

Eleanor

Arnhem, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How difficult is the W trek?

The W is not a particulary difficult hike. It has some elevation changes, but not much. I've done the W with my backpack and campgear as well (around 10 kg per person) and it's was okay to do. Your fitness just makes it easier. Just don't pack you backpack with stuff you don't really need. And it should be a good backpack with a good fit.

Have fun!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How difficult is the W trek?

Perhaps you could talk your BF into staying in the refugios, or buying all or some meals there rather than cooking so that you will not have to carry as much weight.

5. Re: How difficult is the W trek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:17