We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
R L
New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

OK, I am not an experienced hiker by any means and therefore all the guided hiking/camping excursions for Patagonia region are lost on me...

That being said, what is the best way to see the highlights of the TDP park with minimal hiking? I am able to do about half a day's worth of hiking/walking just to explore... anymore than that, my back would not be able to tolerate. Also, I do not have much time to devote to this trip unfortunately. I will be in Puerto Natales or Punta Arenas 2-3 days maximum.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

RL

Is there a reputable bus tour? or am I better of driving around? I will be travelling with a friend.

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

It would be better if you could rent a car in Puerto Natales and find accomodation inside the park.This would give you more freedome and optimize your time in TDP.

Torres del Paine is 2.5 hours drive from Puerto Natales.I would suggest 2 days in TDP.You can google for accomodation.

I stayed in Hosteria Pehoe in 2007 and the rate was $220 per person per night.

Other options are a campsite near Hosteria Las Torres or Hosteria Grey itself.

Hosteria la Torres are on the expensive side but their rate includes excurions in the park.

Heinrich

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

We rented a car at Punta Arenas airport (from Adele) and it all worked really well - wasn't cheap but well worth it. Like you we wanted to do short/medium length walks and having the car made it easy. We stayed at the park entrance at Rio Sorreno and drove to the area we wanted to walk each day. It's a spectacular place and having a car is a great way to explore it.

We had a 4X4 which was good. People did have smaller cars and you would just about get by. It takes a good half day to get from PA airport to TdP.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

A short tour with Cascada Travel might fit the bill for you: www.cascada.travel/places/programs.php…

The wildlife safari option offers either active or easy options for each day. The short one might work if you can find time in your itinerary. This way, you get to see a lot in the park without having to trek all day, day after day. On the day we did the sailing on Lake Grey to see Grey Glacier, our van took us around the park to many different points of interest, with great photo ops. On another day, we did a 5k nature hike, with a lunch stop under a rock outcropping with petroglyphs! No backpacking required.

This includes a stay in the domes at the Eco Camp, very interesting & enjoyable. http://www.ecocamp.travel/

Food was good, wine & pisco sour included, with full board and transportation from Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales. (If you are traveling from El Calafate as we were, there is an extra fee for private van transport, but public bus tickets are covered. Hotels and food are expensive in the park, so these costs are pretty reasonable. Really, IMO, the park is too far from other towns & too vast to make day trips a reasonable option. You would just get there & hardly have time to see anything before time to go back, if you're not staying overnight in the park.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
32 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

I rent a car in Punta Arenas too. U$80,00/day. (international rent a car).

It was the best option, for sure.

Photos TDP by car:

flickr.com/photos/…

14/march/2011

West Kingston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

We were going to rent a car but then found the buses plentiful and convenient.

Buses Sur and Buses Fernandez (others possibly) will take you from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales at 9 and 8 am respectively. There you have 2 hrs to have lunch and a look around. Another 2 hrs bus ride takes you into the park. You could take the bus all the way to the Pehoe lake boat, A 45 minute boat rad takes you to the Paine Grande lodge. The boat ride was an absolute highlight. If you stay for one day, you could do a couple short hikes and see most of the mountains right from the Paine Grande lodge. It will be cheaper than any of the real hotels.

There is plenty of transportation within the park but it is hard to get anyone to disclose the schedule. I do not think it is worth renting a car given the bus is 10% of the cost.

6. Re: Are there any bus tours of Torres del Paine? Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:18