We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hike in TDP

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day hike in TDP

Alas, we have only a half day/full day/half day in TDP, but still want to experience the park to the degree we can. There is a myriad of online advice about hard-core trekking (the W and such) that deal with multi-day hikes. Is it possible to see some of the major trails in a day or half day? We'll be staying at a hotel on the park grounds or just outside it on night 1 and night 2, and will have a rental car. Advice?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hike in TDP

Hi,

We're in the midst of planning a few day hikes in TDP and will also have a rental car.

Depending on how long you want to hike, you can drive in to Hotel Las Torres and hike 3 hrs to see the "towers", and hike 3 hrs back...sounds like a beautiful hike.

You could also drive through the park to Pudeto for the morning catamaran (I think it leaves at 9am or 9:30am) across Lago Pehoe (you can park car near the catamaran dock), then hike a few hrs to the French Valley (and a few hours back). You would have to make sure you're back in time for the catamaran back.

With either of these options you could always turn back at any point to make the hike shorter.

One more suggestion...you can drive through the park to Hotel Lago Grey, do some hiking around there in the morning, and then a 3 hr boat "tour" to get up close to the glacier. There is a tour that leaves at 2:30 in the afternoon or so.

Hope that helps!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hike in TDP

Great ideas, thanks.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hike in TDP

There is a map of TdP showing the hiking trails here:

torres-del-paine.org/images/photos/tc0034-to…

The trail to the Towers starts from Hosteria Los Torres and is well worth doing - even if you only do the start of it. After about 45-60 minutes (depending on speed of walking) the path cuts across the side of the hill in a wind tunnel. If the wind is strong this can be quite nasty to walk and it is easy to slip. Discretion may suggest you turn back.

At the end of October, the start of the trail along the side of Lago Nordensklöld was quite wet. It was boring walking.

Actually the walk back along the road to the entrance at Laguna Amarga is good. You also get some good views of the towers.

We also did the start of the Serron walk - again good scenery. and we had the trail to ourselves.

Pictures here:

wasleys.org.uk/SthAmer_websites/…index.html

wasleys.org.uk/SthAmer_websites/…index.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day hike in TDP

Many thanks. Your photos are wonderful. Do you suggest a guide in TDP?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day hike in TDP

I can't claim any credit for the photos - husband is the photographer.

We pottered round under our own steam, but we did stick to well marked routes and didn't attempt anything too hairy.

Hosteria Los Torres (as well as the other hotels) does have guides and runs a program of day and half day tours which need to be booked the previous evening. They do tend to be quite expensive. (We did the full day Paine as not having a car that was the only way we could see more of TdP)

We bought a copy of this map before we went:

amazon.com/Torres-Paine-Trekking-English-Spa…

All the trekking routes are clearly marked on the map. It has contours and also distances and times for the different routes.

USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day hike in TDP

Hi EESW, your answer is very helpful to me as well. I'm not sure if you still check the forum here and I hope you/someone will soon. If I print the hiking map at this link, would it suffice? I don't have enough time to order from Amazon now.

torres-del-paine.org/images/photos/tc0034-to…

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,759 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day hike in TDP

wanna - "suffice" for what? It will give you a rough outine of the route, which may be fine as you will find detailed marker boards showing elevation and distance at regular intervals.

I doesn't show contours though, so you won't know how many ups and downs there are. But most people seem to walk in ignorance as far as I could tell.

Hi EESW! I wish I'd known about your trip before we went last month. Stay in the Hosteria Las Torres, too?

USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day hike in TDP

Hi EESW, thanks and this is very helpful. While topo info is nice to have, my biggest concern is to stay on the trail and not get lost. Sounds we should be ok. Appreciate your quick response.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day hike in TDP

Hi John,

My wife and I had a few days in Torres but we were not interested in doing the W or Full Circuit, instead we did a couple of day hikes so maybe my trip report might help you.

Have Fun!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g670171-i12474-k52…

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day hike in TDP

Someone previously said that it takes 3 hrs to the towers and 3 hrs back--my husband and I are young (26 and 28) and in good shape but it ended up taking us a full 8 hours total to get to the tours and back from Hotel Las Torres. It was worth it, of course, but it was about the maximum amount of exertion we could muster and could barely walk across the parking lot to return to our car. Just keep that in mind--and the fatigue didn't even hit us until halfway on the hike back. If you do this hike, start early in the day and stop frequently to stretch, rest your legs and snack.

We also parked at Lago Grey and walked across the stone beach to do a shorter hike to a little lookout. This is an easy walk and lets you get pretty close to the icebergs.

I think there was a shorter walk from the Salto Grande parking lot, though it was soooooo windy when we were there (I'm talking like 80 mph winds, the kind that feel like you could be knocked off your feet at any time) that we just went to the waterfall and then back.

When you check in to the park at the ranger station, you can get a park map and ask the ranger what some good day hikes would be.