We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Does anyone know what the status of the park is? I have seen many conflicting reports on the location of the fire as well as its status. I assumed it would be closed for all of Jan but this morning read a report suggesting it is now opened. here is the link: torresdelpaine.com/ingles/…11.asp

Like many of you I have scrambled to make alternate arrangements but would hope to resume my initial plans to visit the park

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Closed. Your link is about the 2005 fire.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Yes this link is incorrect - I am reading some reports suggesting they may try to open the park in the coming days since much of the tourist infrastructure is in operating condition and the fires are under control. Any truth to this?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

There is pressure from the tourist companies, obviously, to open the park at least partially. I think it is unlikely they will open it any time soon for independent trekkers. They may open part of it for guided tours first, but that would be unlikely any time soon. Quite a bit of the most visited areas of the park are damaged by fire and the trails are gone. There are other areas to visit but no one is likely to be let in until they can assure they can keep people away from the damaged areas and in the areas they want them. As we have seen, not everyone sticks to the rules in the park. When any of the park will open is unknown.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

updates at www.emol.com including maps

and www.allchile.net

It will be evaluated after the fire is out , which will all depend on the winds.

At the moment the fire has not reached the Towers or Las Torres hotels, but a major part of the W is affected.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

Actually, today the President spoke of a 48 hr evaluation to see if northern parts of the park might be opened this week. No details given and none expected.

london
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

We are in Calafate, the word here is some of the refugios in the south west area have burned down, they are expecting the circuit to be closed for a couple of months. i got this info from Tourist Information in El Calafate

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

The atest reports suggest that the government is evaluating opening some of the northern parts of the park on Wednesday.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

I don't think the tourist information office in El Calafate is the best source of unbiased and correct information!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

I have heard conflicting reports just thought I would share:

Las Torres is saying the park entrance at Amarga will be opened as of Jan 4 and that the parts of the park near Cuernos are ok. I dont know if they are trying to convince their reservations to come in hopes that things will be ok? but it is questionable.

Explora - last update saying park is closed but the hotel is ok - It appears the location of that property is much closer to where the fires did damage.

Some hotels in PN have responded that the park is closed until further notice

Lots of conflicting information here, terrible situation but seems like its being made worse by the confusion. I guess the weather can impact the outcome so it's day to day.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 22:29
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torres Del Paine - Open or closed????

There is no confusion here. There may be confusion due to media reports in other places.

The park is closed.

If possible, in the President's words "ojalá", parts of the park may be reopened by Wednesday but only after an evaluation of the situation in the park. Waiting to evaluate is not the same as being confused.

Whether it will open or not and which sections - and which hotels or refugios will be operating - will not be known until tomorrow at the very earliest. Because of this there is no hard information on when the park will open and in which parts.