We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rio Serrano

Chicago
Level Contributor
252 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Rio Serrano

How long does the drive take from Rio Serrano to Camp Pehoe and is there a bridge to cross to get there? Also is the park entrance open 24 hours?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,926 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

Not sure you can drive to it. Thought you had to take a boat and walk

I doubt the entrance is open 24 hours. The park website will probably say.

torresdelpaine.com/ingles/…

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

This is the official park website with the opening times for the entrances to the park.

www.parquetorresdelpaine.cl/detalle.php…

I believe you get more than one day's entry on the fee but you can check that when you are there.

I have never driven in the park, so I don't know about driving from Rio Serrano.

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

from Rio Serrano to Camp (you mean Hosteria? )Pehoe no more than 30 km, may be 20 minutes, there is foot bridge very near of the road

Chicago
Level Contributor
252 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

I meant the camp ground which I think is near the Hosteria, can I drive there? One park map shows a bridge that cars go across another does not.

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

yes, you have reason, Camping Pehoe is beside the road, with car parking, I confounded with Hosteria Pehoe, a bit more to the north, located in a small island

Chicago
Level Contributor
252 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

Thank You Fernando.

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

I stayed at one small hotel in the Rio Serrano area, going into the park each day.

before and after opening hours, the barriers are open and there is no ranger.

the road was in rough condition, it may be better now, so it's very slow going. think 30 to 40 kph.

we were leaving the park after dusk and going in before dawn.

Chicago
Level Contributor
252 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

How was driving in the park before the sun come up?

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

this was right before the brunt of winter ( which I was just looking at in a friends photographs, and wow, that is beyond anything I could have ever imagined, Torres in snow)

so it was near barren roads, potholes, and when we were almost to our destinations, the first glint of light.

some amazing sights that we would never have seen otherwise.

there can be ice or frost on the roads coming out of Puerto Natales, so make sure your rental has studded tires if its winter.

we had mostly 4x4 in our group.

also, we nearly ran out of fuel when we were based out of Serrano for a few days, so if you will be there for a while, try to get a diesel or buy jerry cans if you can ( i.e. you can fit them in the back of an open pickup truck)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Rio Serrano

We are going to visit Torres del Paine in mid-October. We plan to drive from Puerto Natales and explore the main roads in the park and hike a bit from there. Do we need to rent a 4x4 or is a normal-traction car OK at that time of the year? Thank you for your advice.