We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Hiking

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Hiking

Hello!

I'm planning a trip to Chile over Xmas. I will have 7 full days and want to hit Torres del Paine. Just wondering if it's possible to hike and camp without a tour group there? Also, do buses run from Santiago to Torres del Paine?

Let me know!

Thanks, beth

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Hiking

You do not need to be in a tour group but you must only hike and camp where authorised. If you have not booked what you need yet, you should do so as soon as possible.

There are no buses from Santiago to Torres del Paine. Most people fly some portion of the trip south - Santiago to Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales, or fly from Puerto Montt. You could travel by land from Puerto Montt but you go into Argentina and out again. With 7 days you do not have time.

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Hiking

The cheapest way to get to TDP from Santiago is to take an overnight bus to Puerto Montt (12 hours) and then get a round-trip flight from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas. If you buy early (now) on skyairlines.cl it should only cost you about 150 USD. Then, you'll need to take a bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales, but this is only a couple hours and busses run frequently.

I'm also planning on going alone over Christmas and if you want to hike the W circuit, you should be fine. If you want to do the full circuit I hear they won't let people pass there alone. The backside is more isolated so it isn't a good idea to do it alone, anyway.

Goodluck!

Erika

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Hiking

Hi Erika and Beth. I am traveling through Argentina right now, I'm currently in Buenos Aires, also planning on solo trekking the W (or possibly the full TdP circuit) over Christmas. It would be great if we could perhaps communicate via email and share some info?? I'm at yvetterudge@hotmail.com Look forward to hearing from you. Y

San Francisco...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Hiking

I too am looking to do the W around Christmas time. I have a wedding to be at in Santiago on 1/4, is my only commitment. It'd be great to get a crew! My email is zfparsons@gmail.com Yvette, I just added you on facebook, my name is Zack

5. Re: Christmas Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...