We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres del Paine for oldies (nearly 70)

Germany
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Torres del Paine for oldies (nearly 70)

I am a little bit lost about what we oldies can do during 3 days in the TdP NP end of November. Although we are quite fit we are very reluctant booking an expensive hotel in the park with our limited possibilities for longer hikes. We are on a 5 weeks Argentina/Chile tour and have a budget which does not allow for these all inclusive hotels in the park. The only accommodation which seem affordable are Tyndall Hosteria and the Cabanas del Paine which are outside the park. I checked renting a car in Puerto Natales (we are coming from El Calafate and go to Punta Arenas), but there is nothing available. If we stay at Tyndall Hosteria – without a car - would we still have a chance seeing some highlights of the park by means of a day excursion? I could not figure out on the hotel website what kind of excursions they offer. We do not speak Spanish.

We really want to come to the NP but we seem to have two handicaps: We are not hikers and we are”poor”. Any encouagement?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torres del Paine for oldies (nearly 70)

Strange that there are no cars available......

I would check with the hotel what options are available. You are about 30-60 minutes from the main places like Lago Grey (take a boat trip around the glacier!). Some hotels will organise mini-bus trips for their guests.

I stayed at the Rio Serrano Lodge, which is near the Tyndall, and apart from local walks and trips on the river Serrano, we had to get a transfer to the other parts of the park.

However, the views were amongst the best of our stay. Many places are actually TOO close to the mountains to get great views!

2. Re: Torres del Paine for oldies (nearly 70)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:18