We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA reciprocity fee

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
USA reciprocity fee

I know I have to pay the reciprocity fee if I fly into Santiago from USA - what if I cross into Chile by road by bus from Argentina? Do they collect it at the border crossing there?

Could not easily find out from the Chilean embassy page.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA reciprocity fee

You should have looked on here first! It is only charged if flying into SCL on an international flight, nowhere else. You are fine crossing a land border.

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA reciprocity fee

Dancingmolly - can you please double-check and confirm that? I read something quite different on both Chilean and Argentinean official webpages:

http://www.chile-usa.org/fastfacts.htm

…state.gov/travel/…entry_requirements

Not only they charge the same price now - for US citizens - but I seems that now applies to any border crossing anywhere, by any means, except for cruises and day-trips coming from neighboring countries

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA reciprocity fee

Argentina and Chile have totally different policies. The amount charged to US citizens is the same because it is a reciprocity fee: they charge what the US charges their citizens to apply for, not necessarily get, a visa. Currently that is US$160 but can rise any time the US raises its charges.

Argentina started charging only at EZE on arrival, then started charging at AEP as well. Then they started charging online for every entry point with the exception of cruise ports, but that was added over a year ago. So you cannot board a boat, bus or plane headed to Argentina if you have not prepaid the fee. They won't let you on.

Chile has had a reciprocity fee in place for arrivals at SCL on an international flight for years. If you go to the page for Chile on the second link you provided, it is quite clear. The first link is to an embassy website which is sadly out of date on other information (sales tax, airport tax) and too vague about where the reciprocity fee is charged. The US State Department link has better information and clearly states that the fee is collected only at SCL..

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: USA reciprocity fee

In this post, I pick apart the bad info at http://www.chile-usa.org:

tripadvisor.com/…49806482

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA reciprocity fee

Thanks for the clarification and link - really helps a lot

usa
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA reciprocity fee

Thanks for all this information! If Chile does get into the VWP and if Chile does get rid of the $160 reciprocity fee, then it will make my trip cheaper :-)

If not, looks like if I fly into Buenos Aires, then go to El Calafate, then cross over into Chile and then fly back to USA through SCL then I may still escape paying the fee - lets see how my trip plans out..

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA reciprocity fee

"then go to El Calafate, then cross over into Chile and then fly back to USA through SCL then I may still escape paying the fee"

Won't that cost more than $160?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA reciprocity fee

As long as you do not enter Chile through Arturo Merino Airport in Santiago you do NOT pay the reciprocity fee in Chile.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA reciprocity fee

Mangoo, hoping you will report back after your trip.

usa
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA reciprocity fee

peterscot - as of now both El Calafate and Puerto Natales are on my itinerary - hence trying to figure out which direction to go to make the trip cheaper if possible

I can go either USA - BA - El Calafate - Puerto Natales - SCL - USA

or

USA - SCL - Puerto Natales - El Calafate - BA - USA

Thanks for your help everyone - my trip is still in initial planning stage -

Edited: 24 September 2013, 15:22