We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trip planning in TDP

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Help with trip planning in TDP

Hi,

I would like some help with the following aspects of my plan in TDP:

1. Recommended car rental company in Punta Natales with good rates? I believe a 4wd is required because of the rough roads?

2. For camping along the lake, is Lago Pehoe the best choice? But I've read that it's very exposed to the wind, any other choices more sheltered but close to the views? Or are there any type of affordable accommodation under $100 USD a night?

3. For food, is it advisable to purchase from Puerto Natales as I heard inside the park is expensive and not that good...

4. Is the rates good if changing from USD to CLP, do they charge fees and is it close to the market rate? Or is it best to withdraw from ATM?

Would appreciate any input as it really helps, thanks in advance

Aaron

Mentioned in this post
Lago Pehoe
Lago Pehoe
172 Reviews
Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip planning in TDP

You don't need a 4X4, you just need to drive slowly.

You can only camp in designated areas. You can hire a tent and sleeping bag at the camping sites next to refugios. If you are planning to camp at free campgrounds, you need your own tent etc.

If you take your own food you have to carry it and have something to cook it on. A three course dinner in a refugio is US$21. You decide if you find that too expensive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip planning in TDP

Any idea of recommended car rental companies?

Thanks

Aaron

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip planning in TDP

We rented with Hertz and just got a car. We had no trouble driving in the park and agree with DancingMolly about just taking it slow. The roads are gravel but in very good shape and generally there is not much traffic. Don't waste your money on a 4 X 4 as its not necessary. I should say that was from Punta Arenas not Natales though. As for food, we bought some in Punta Arenas and the rest in Natales. It was much cheaper than in the park and we shopped at full sized grocery stores so there was lots of choice.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Arenas
Punta Arenas
Magallanes Region, Chile
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trip planning in TDP

Thank you. I will just rent a normal car then with your advice. By the end of March, would it be possible to book a few days ahead? I know this isn't possible in the busy period of Jan to Feb, but late March should be ok I think. Just want to remain flexible with the dates depending on weather.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with trip planning in TDP

If you need an automatic transmission, book as soon as you can.

6. Re: Help with trip planning in TDP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...