We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres del Paine - Staying there, vehicles there, and time

San Francisco...
14 posts
Save Topic
Torres del Paine - Staying there, vehicles there, and time

Hi, I am wondering what some of the best places to stay at near Torres del Paine National Park are if I plan to bring my own vehicle (rental car). I know there is a hotel listing, but many of these I have found are inclusive of them taking you out on guided tours (which we do not want to do), we would rather see the park on our own and on our own time. Is it possible to bring a rental car inside Torres del Paine? Will there be parking there so that we can hike various parts of the park each day? We have 3 full days at Torres del Paine, which we hope will be enough to see many things, we are young and will be up early and don't take long lunches/dinners. Please let me know if you have any thoughts just a traversing the park, this may seem obvious but I am simply overly worried that we would not be able to see as much uising a rental car or would not have anywhere to park it while we were there. Thank you very much for your help!

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torres del Paine - Staying there, vehicles there, and time

Hi

Going there with your own car will allow you to explore the park at your way which is always great.

With the car you are going to be able to park in many different areas and do daily hike to places such as the base of towers or the Grey Glacier or even to the French Valley.

I suggest you to stay a couple of nights in Hotel Las Torres and a couple of night in Hotel Lago Grey, both are inside the park.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torres del Paine - Staying there, vehicles there, and time

Renting a car is a great idea and gives you the freedom to explore at your leisure! There are a lot of hotel options within the park, but a lot of them will be pretty costly without a lot of amenities, good food, etc. I spent a lot of time researching hotel options in Torres del Paine but stumbled across Estancia Cerro Guido, which is about a 45 minute drive to the east of the park. It's a historic working ranch, with sheep, horses and cattle and has absolutely beautiful, rustic rooms with wood-burning fireplaces and views over the steppe and mountains. The one huge plus here is the on-site restaurant... all the food was fresh (the meat is fresh and the vegetables are grown on site) and prepared by a very skilled chef. There is really nothing better than returning to your hotel after a long day of hiking and exploring and sitting down to a delicious meal and a pisco sour, while being treated to a great view. The prices are much better than what you would find within the park, the overall experience is really great (and gives you a more authentic Patagonian experience) and is well worth it, especially if you have a car and the means to make the drive.

Just for comparison, we were there in November 2012 for 4 full days, driving to and from Punta Arenas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torres del Paine - Staying there, vehicles there, and time

Hi RedFrosty,

Yes, you can drive your rental car into TDP. And no, you do not need to stay at an all inclusive place. My wife and I stayed just outside the park and drove in every day over a four day period of day hikes. My trip report might help you out. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g670171-i12474-k52…

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
94 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torres del Paine - Staying there, vehicles there, and time

I have just posted a trip report which probably answers most of your queries. Although we did not have a rental car, we used public transport, a rental car option is perfectly feasible. Enjoy yourself, the park is stunning.

5. Re: Torres del Paine - Staying there, vehicles there, and time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:29