We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres del Paine and Puerto Moreno Glacier?

Which Torres del Paine National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Torres del Paine and Puerto Moreno Glacier?

We are visiting Patagonia in late March 2015 and are planning on staying at Patagonia camp for 3 or 4 full days. We plan on seeing some of the major sights in the park through their tours including Serrano gal icier, Grey and the Massif.

My question: is it worth making our way up to Puerto Moreno and El Carafate to see the Moreno glacier? Or will our up close experience in Torres del Paine be enough?

Thanks!

Peru
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Torres del Paine and Puerto Moreno Glacier?

Hi Chip,

Time permitting, I recommend making a trip to Argentina to see the Perito Moreno Glacier. There are a couple ways to experience the glacier - from a viewing platform and/or a guided trek on the glacier. I spent some time in Patagonia in 2012 and seeing the Perito Moreno Glacier was one of the highlights of my experience. From the platform you can see large sections of the glacier fall off into a large lake, which is not only cool to see but also makes an incredible rumbling noise.

One thing to consider is the $160 reciprocity fee to enter Argentina from Chile. This fee may seem expensive to only enter Argentina for a few days to see the glacier. One option to extend your time in Argentina is to visit El Chalten - a little town about a 4 hour bus ride from El Calafate- that is known for its world-class hiking trails.

Happy travels!

Britt

Latin America for Less

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torres del Paine and Puerto Moreno Glacier?

Thanks for the advice. We're working on changing our itinerary to spend time here if we can. We'd spend two half days in el Calafate with a full day in the middle to visit the glacier. Seems like a great experience!

3. Re: Torres del Paine and Puerto Moreno Glacier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:17