We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Kinross, Scotland
Level Contributor
41 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii or Herculaneum?

We'll be staying somewhere on the Amalfi coast at the end of April (no decision where yet!)

Is it possible to see Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day by public transport? If not, which one should we visit?

Many thanks.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

If you're up for a full day, I'd suggest going first to Herculaneum (by far the smaller site) and then moving on to Pompei for as long as you last... both are worth seeing, and it's worth seeing them both!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/slides_pompeii

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/herc

Transport depends where you stay, but this may give some idea of journey times in the area...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

Peter

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
241 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

I was at Herculaneum for over 3 hours (got there around 2 and left when it closed at 5:30) and still didn't see everything (but close). For me, that was enough. I've heard Herculaneum is better preserved than Pompeii, but obviously don't know from experience. I can't imagine spending MORE than 3.5 hours - even the "small" site at Herculaneum was a lot to take in.

Tip: the audio-guide at Herculaneum is WONDERFUL. I tried audio guides at different sites around Italy and mostly hated them (wanted to stomp on them and crush them into the dirt at times) but this one is really really worth it. Easy to follow and a lot of great, interesting information.

Kinross, Scotland
Level Contributor
41 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Thank you both very much for the advice.

I've just booked to stay in Ravello, so I hope the transport links are OK. This might be the first time we've been to Italy and not hired a car...because I hear it's not good for Scottish blood pressure - even though we're used to rural tracks - as we drive on the wrong side of the road, and the it can be hair-raising down there!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,841 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Map of houses at Herculaneum

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Edited: 02 February 2012, 20:22
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,631 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

I love them both, but if I had to choose it would be Pompeii. I spent a whole day at Pompeii years ago and for me it was not enough time. It is a large site and so much to see.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

I am trying to make the same decision for early July while in the area with my daughter for only 2 and a half days. We're very conflicted. So I'm lurking in this thread and trying to decide.

United States
Level Contributor
823 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

We saw them both in one day from Naples, and that was a very long, tiring day. Seeing them from Ravello...I don't know, you will need the bus to Amalfi, then probably another bus to Sorrento, then the trian...I don't think there is a more direct way to get there from Ravello.

Somebody here more familiar with trains and buses might be able to answer this better, but to me, it seems hard to see both from Ravello in one day.

We loved both sites, and what is said here before is true, they are both amazing, so I suggest looking at youtube videos, google pictures, read about the 2 sites, and decide which one you prefer. You really can't go wrong with either one. Have a great trip.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

I think it may depend how hot it is and how you get on after visiting Pompeii first. It is easy to get to the Herculaneum site from Pompeii just hop on the train a few stations. I visited both on the same day but it was early in the year. Found Pompeii a bit exhausting since it is a large site and quite a distance between places of interest. Herculaneum is more compact and very different in that you can see almost complete buildings and pieces of preserved wood so if you are up for it after having a restful lunch stop at Pompeii go for it ! If you dont go where will you spend the remaining time ? One alternative would be to go on to Naples to see the Museum there but that could be equally exhaustng ! Best of luck with your choice :)

Just seen the previous post , I was staying in Sorrento if you are staying on the Amalfi coast I would restrict your visit to one or the other.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 18:45
Kinross, Scotland
Level Contributor
41 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

I posted this originally about 2 years ago.

We realised it wasn't possible to do either on public transport from Ravello. We had a taxi booked to take us from the airport to Ravello (cheap flight, but the taxi made up for that bargain!) so we asked him to give us a couple of hours at Herculanaeum on the way past, knowing that was the smaller of the 2 sites. We needed at least an hour more, but it was enough for a flavour, and it happened to be free the day we went, but it can't remember why.

It was wonderful. I would go back to go to Pompeii, but allow a whole day.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Thank you very much. I appreciate the update.

Get answers to your questions about Ercolano