We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

Which Shangri-La County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
macau
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

Hi, i'd like to have a trip to Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la in the mid of December of this year, and I need some advise.

Many people talk about altitude sickness may affect some travellers in Lijiang (2400 meters above sea level) and Shangri-la (3200 meters above sea level).

I'm thinking If I should stay 4 nights in Kumming, then fly directly to Shangri-la, OR should stay 3 nights in Kumming, then fly to Lijiang stay two nights and then take a bus to Shangri-la.

Which one is better to avoid altitude sickness?

Also, I'm worrying about the road condition in December. Will the road be icy and dangerous from Lijiang to Shangri-la? Also, how often will the airport be closed if heavy snow occur in Shangri-la, cause i'm planning to fly back to kumming from Shangri-la.

Emmen, The...
Level Contributor
64 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

Last August-2010 I did 1,5 days Kunming, 1,5 day's Dali, 2,5 day's Lijiang, 1 day traveling to Shangrila (with tiger leaping gorge), 2 day's Shangrila. In shangrila it was only after one day I regognized my little headake was because of the altitude sickness. So if for altitude sicknes.... I would avoid Shangrila. Looking back, there was actually nothing additional to explore in shangrila, compared to Kunming/Dali/Lijiang. If looking back and would make my tripplanning new, I would still keep arriving noon Kunming, stay 1,5 day's (do evening stuff in Kunming 1e day arrive and do green lake + Stoneforrest + bamboo temple on 2e day), take eveningflight to Dali, next day do day-activities in Dali, next day arround noon take 3hr luxurybus to Lijang, then 3 or 4 day's do activities in and arround Lijiang, then fly out of Lijiang. Would definitely skip Shangrila, and keep Lijiang for the last, since that is the place with most impressive activities to do.

2. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 00:41
Usa
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

Your idea to stop in Lijiang, road to Shangri La should really help prevent altitude problems in Shangri La. Just pace yourself on the stairs. Agree with above that Shangri La very well worth it. Not just for the Little Potala Palace, but the scenery around there is stunning! Worth getting a driver/guide to explore the area. A shame that the first replier above didn't get enough exposure to appreciate it. Will be pretty cold though, but airport shouldn't be impacted.

Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

One golden rule: travel from low altitude to high altitude can help avoid altitude sickness. Shangri-la is worth for one or two day stay to experience the tibetan culture and living style. Very low possibilty of snow in Mid-December, tempature ranges from Minus 8 to Minus 5 degree.

Wish you a nice trip in Yunan and zero alitude sickness :-)

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

Christina,

How was your Yunnan trip? planning to travel there in summer. would appreciate any sort of information. did you have enough time? what activities did you enjoy most?

thanks/mary

shangri-La County...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

Hello Christina

i feel so sorry to the first repiler that he was not able to appreciate the wonders of shangri-la.somehow i wish you could explore more and enjoying in shangri-la. by visting lijang and to shangri-la.cos through this route it will help you to avoid height sickness.

In DEC the lijang climate is very good but the shangri-la is belowe 0. so my suggetion to you will be if you can change you trip date to summer then i am sure you could joy the stunning wild garden of the shangri-la with pleasent weather.

be as local guide this is wat i can suggest .

WISH YOU TO HAVE NICE TRIP

shangri-la guide

Aten

Edited: 14 March 2011, 08:53
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

Hi Aten, Is October better than March to visit Shangri-la? Will the snow be a problem on the road as we plan to travel by road tfrom Lijiang o Shangri-la to avoid altitude sickness. Heard about the road construction & part of the road from Lijiang to Shengri-la close. will the road ber completed by March 2012? Thanks. Lily

8. Re: Kumming, Lijiang and Shangri-la - Need Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 09:28