We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation in Shangri-La

We are visiting Shangri La in mid November. Is the road safe from Lijiang? How long is the drive if we hired a van. There are 5 of us.

From previous forum, some people said that it was better to stay at a Rest house or homestay than a hotel. Does all rest houses have ensuite? Can you please recommend some good & convenient place to stay for about 2 nights? Thanks.

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

We stayed for 3 nights last October at Guanguang Hotel on Chi Ci Ka Jie, which is only a few hundred metres from the old town (a 2 minute walk). It is used by quite a few foreigners and business people. The position is great but ask for a room at the back away from street noise and on a high floor. Our room was reasonable with an ensuite. The breakfast was OK, nothing special. I think the hotel number is 0887-8230698.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

Thanks, Burradoo. Was it cold at night? Is there any air conditioning in the room? I plan to go there on the 14 Nov. Do we have to wear thick winter clothing or just tracksuit is enough? May I also ask which area in Shangri- La did you visit as a tourist.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

Nov is in the winter month of Shangri-La. It is comparative cold for most people in Shangri-La in Nov. The averange temp of Nov is 13 C.

Because of the snow mountainous area, Shangri-La may be colder than Lijiang at that time. Feather coat and thick coat should be packed.

I think you can do some reading on the Shangri-La hotel reviews parts as well.

And about the attractions in Shangri-La, Potatso National Park, Songzanlin Lamasery, Napa Lake (Napahai Natural Reserve), Dukezong Ancient Town will be general choices. And may be you can get more information in TA Shanri-La tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g670561-Activiti…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

Thanks, Kevin for your reply.

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

Yes, it was very cold at night outside but it was OK in the hotel. We had a thick doona in our room. I don't remember being cold in the room so maybe there was some heating.You will need thick winter clothing outside- coat, gloves, hat etc. If you go up Snow mountain, it will be freezing! You get great views, though! We walked around the old town, which is fascinating. Lots of good cafes and shops. We also visited a village about 30 minutes drive away which was very interesting. We also did a tour of Songzanlin Monastery. See my review of this.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

I was in Lijiang and Shangri-La last November right around the middle of the month. It was quite nice--sunny and cool in the daytime and cold at night, so it's important to get a room with heating. Shangri-la is quite a bit colder than Lijiang and will get down to nearly freezing at night. But when I was there, no snow yet. In Shangrila, I splurged and stayed at the Songstam Hotel which is next to the big monastery, out from the city a bit and a boutique hotel in a traditional Tibetan house. It was peaceful and glorious, and had good heating, not just quilt on the bed. Beware of smaller rest houses and hostels, many of them don't have full room heating.

You will need pretty heavy coat, scarf, lined gloves, good socks and maybe a hat or hood. A tracksuit is definitely not enough!

The road from Lijiang to Shangrila is very good, paved all the way. There is some ongoing construction in small areas (between Lijiang and Qiaotou) but nothing that takes much time to get through.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 11:14
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

Thanks for the info. Do you need oxygen tanks over there? Which boutique Hotel did you stay? We are looking at somewhere near the old town or where it's convenient to go for meals, shops etc.

How many hours is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-La by car/van?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

Thanks.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 04:21
Shangri-La County...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

From Lijiang to Shangri-la is about 4and half hours by public bus, it's better if you have private car on the way you can visit Tiger leaping gorge and have some nice stop along the road. for the oxygen tanks is up to body's condition.normaly if you do the trip from low gradualy to high place should be ok,but if you need then you can buy at place.for the accomodation in old city is best for convenient and views i suggest you Shangri-la Tibetan family inn.contact for booking: Tashi 139 887 02359

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation in Shangri-La

I did not need oxygen in Shangri-La (and I am middle aged with a heart condition.). But as a "lowlander" I came up by land, first spending 2 days in Kunming, train to Lijiang, then 5 days in the Lijiang area, then public bus up to Shangri-La--the latter of which was 4.5 hours as Tashi says, and quite pleasant. There is a noticeable difference between the two cities, with Shangri-La requiring more breathing effort, meaning taking walking and especially stair steps more slowly. I had no trouble but am sure it was because I acclimated on the way up. I noticed quite a few domestic Chinese tourists (lowlanders) using oxygen. I flew out of Shangri-La back to low country (Chengdu). Much better than doing that the other way 'round and flying in.

I stayed at the Songstam Hotel. Not the Songstam Retreat (which has the same Tibetan owner but is under Accor management.) Songstam Hotel is slightly more convenient than Songstam Retreat if you don't have a car/driver at your disposal. But both are out of the city proper, and behind the public security gate/visitor center for the Ganden Sumsaling Monastery. More inconvenient if you wish to carouse in the city at night, but also more peaceful. Sounds like you might prefer being in the city, perhaps the Old Town area. There are more modern hotels in the New Town area which might be more to your liking, but you're not going to find much in the way of international brands here yet.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 19:05
Get answers to your questions about Shangri-La County