We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Which Shangri-La County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Hi guys,

Trying to find out if there are more lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang.

Would love to visit as much lamastries as possible during my trip.

Current ones that i know are:

Songzanlin Monastery

Dongzhulin Monastery

Guishan Temple

Baiji Temple

Thanks!

Hangzhou, Zhejiang...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Dabao Monastery which is located 15 km away from the downtown Shangri-la

Shangri-La County...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Yes Dabao(Ringha) Temple, GangEn Monastery White(Kargyu) sect of Tibetan Buddihism 7Km away from city. OH and the only one Nunnery in Shangrila close to the DongDrolin Monastery and 5-6 more Monastery or Temple actually around the region.

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

In Lijiang there are few more temples too below: Zhiyun Temple. Wenfeng temple, Fuguo Temple,Puji temple, Yufeng temple and Jinta Temple.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Thanks Christina, i will visit Dabao Monastery.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Thanks ecotoursim. But Zhiyun Temple. Wenfeng temple, Fuguo Temple,Puji temple, Yufeng temple and Jinta Temple are all chinese styled temples right? Im looking for tibetan styled monastery.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Thanks Tashi. Can i have the chinese names of the monasteries you mentioned? I cant seem to find them on the internet. Thanks!

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

You are so welcome! The temples(Yufeng,Puji,Wenfeng,Zhiyun and Wenji) in Lijiang are Tibetan Buddhism Temple which mixed Naxi culture. But Fuguo and Wenfeng were rebuilt recently.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Thanks ecotoursim, i will visit them when im in Lijiang.

Do you know about the monasteries in Shangri-La that Tashi mentioned in the earlier posts?

"GangEn Monastery White(Kargyu) sect of Tibetan Buddihism 7Km away from city. OH and the only one Nunnery in Shangrila close to the DongDrolin Monastery and 5-6 more Monastery or Temple actually around the region."

Shangri-La County...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

If you come up to Shangri-la from Tiger leaping gorge(along natinal 214 road) first day you can visit Jin zang di yi miao(zha xi da ji lin si) it will be around 1hours and 20 minutes later drive from gorge on the way to shangri-la.on your right side of road after first Tibetan village.

Second day visit Songzanlin Monastery,Guishan Temple,Baiji Temple, GanEn Monastery(HanPi Gompa) Kargyu sect, and Dabao si (Ringha) Those all around city. GanEn is Chinese name but i can not found on internet too ,i guess maybe it is too small. but if you ask local people HanPi Gompa, i am sure every people know.

Third day drive 2 and half hours to visit red(Karma Pa) sect of Tibetan Buddism, Damo Zhushi dong

4th day morning visit Yunnan Golden Monkey national park afternoon drive to Benzilan Shusong visit Nunnery. u can overnight my family's guesthouse.

5th day visit Dongzhulin monastery and back to Shangri-la

Cheers

Tashi

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lamastries in Shangri-La and Lijiang

Thanks so much Tashi, the information is very helpful.

I'll be taking a public bus from Lijiang to Shangri-La.

I've already booked my own lodging and i only have 3 days in Shangri-La, but i'll try to visit as many as i can during my short stay.

Read that its now the rainy season, hope that it doesnt rain too frequently when im there.