We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chachoben Mayan Ruins

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chachoben Mayan Ruins

We will be on a Carnival Cruise and are trying to decide which Mayan ruins to visit. It is a 2.5 hrs bus ride to get to these ruins. We will stop at Progresso also.( 2 sites here: Chichen Itza and Dzibilchaltun Ruins). There are Mayan ruins there to see also. Would like to hear from anyone that has visited any or all of these Mayan Ruins and which ones they liked best. Just a total of 5 hrs on a bus is what worries me. Any help or input appreciated.

Happy Travels

RT

New Albany
Level Contributor
53 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chachoben Mayan Ruins

We went to Chachoben Mayan Ruins in January. We didn't take the Carnival tour, it was overpriced. See the review I gave for the tour operator listed on the things to do list here.

We really enjoyed the tour and would recommend it.

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chachoben Mayan Ruins

"Indy", can't find your tour operator review about the ruins. What am I doing wrong?

RT

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chachoben Mayan Ruins

Have not been to Chachoben, but have been to Dzibilchaltun and Chichen Itza. They are totally different. Dzibilchaltun is just south of Progreso and should be a much shorter trip. Of course, it is a smaller site and far less spectacular. Chichen Itza is a major site that has been restored to a much greater extent. It is not my favorite, but it is certainly worth the trip. The only issue is in the length of the trip to see it. If you have the time and truly wish to see archeological sites, I would think Chichen Itza is going to give you a better experience. You will pass through small villages to get there and that alone will be more interesting. Dzibilchaltun is way down on my list of favorites. I wouldn't use my one day in port to visit it unless it was the only option. Chichen Itza has become more touristy, but it is still a marvelous site to see.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chachoben Mayan Ruins

Hi Chacchoben is located in the state of Quintana Roo and yes it is a small place near to the town of Chacchoben is not far from the seeport you can do it very easy and by Progreso in the state of Yucatan, Dzibilchaltun is closer than Chichen itza so if you dont want to spend your day in a bus stay at dzibilchaltun and swim at the cenote.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chachoben Mayan Ruins

You did not say where the port is (Majaual or Cozumel). If it's Majaual I'd skip Chichen Itza as it would be such a long bus trip that you would only be there an hour. Here's a web site that has many Mexican Mayan sites, that might help you a little.

www.delange.org/Default/Mexico/Mexico.htm

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Chachoben Mayan Ruins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 05:40