We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa maya from cruise ship

monmouth beach95
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
costa maya from cruise ship

Anyone know how the beach is that the ship offers an excusion to? Excursion info does not mention name of beach, refers to it as a 'jungle beach break'. This is on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Has anyone been on this excursion? Is it worth taking, is the beach rocky. Trying to figure out whether to sched this trip or just remain on board. Love nice, sandy beached though.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa maya from cruise ship

Hi jerseyshore95, you should try cruisecritic. On the Costa Maya port of call board, you will probably find answers to your questions. I love it, I can usually find any answer I need for cruising or have it answered by the many experienced cruisers.

Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa maya from cruise ship

heres a tip that'll save $$$ take a taxi, to Majuahual, about 10 minutes from the ship, nice beach, not crowded, i think it's the same beach the ship takes you to on the excursion, taxi is $5 roundtrip per person, lots of spots to get a drink and shop too, for silver jewelry. you can see the ship from the beach, and it's soo easy and nice. we just got back yesterday :)

ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: costa maya from cruise ship

our ship is stopping there too next feb, we feel in love with puerto vallarta this year and cant wait to see more of mexico, I love your beach taxi idea. My only concern is there taxis sitting near the beach for the return, i know in PV we never had a problem. Also with all the eating we do on a cruise ship i know i wont be looking too eat too much but would love some salsa and gracamole and a few coronas, is there a place on or near the beach for that. thanks

monmouth beach95
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costa maya from cruise ship

We actually booked the 'jungle beach break' thru Royal Caribbean. If I remember, the cost was about $29/per person and included transportation, non motorized water sports and all beverages. I can not comment on what it would have been if we taxied on our own but we did think this tour was terrific and well worth the money. The beach was not crowded at all, there were many areas of shade which is really important since the sun was really hot. Plus there were very clean restrooms and showers there and a place to sit and order food. Did not see anyone there other than pre-arranged bus tours so no idea if the public area would be similar. One hint worth taking advantage of, our ship offered 2 different times so we took the later time but those who went earlier were permitted to stay as long as they wanted until the last bus left so, if you are interested in longer time there, would reserve the first time slot. Have fun, we loved it !!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costa maya from cruise ship

Just returned from 09May cruise on Celebrity Solstice and loved our stop at Costa Maya. At the pier is a new and lovely complex of shops, swimming pool with swim-up bars, restaurants, a volleyball pool, and small beach (not really for swimming) music..a fun party atmosphere..

We took the shuttle bus from the pier $3 pp (the taxis are outside the compound which requires a short walk, not worth the $1 pp savings). The shuttle drops you at the heart of Mahahual, which is really a paved boardwalk down the beach approx 5 blocks long, lined with small shops, bars, restaurants and massage tables ($20 hour which can be negotiated down for shorter periods of time) . We stopped at the Tropicante (see restaurant review) and had great massage on the beach as well. The water is beautiful and very calm.

There is taxi line at the town center (near where we were dropped off) fare back to ship is $2 pp. We wandered through shops at pier and spent remainder of day at the pier side pool having a few drinks and swimming.. Just a wonderful relaxing & inexpensive day..

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costa maya from cruise ship

We also went into Majuahual (although this was before the hurricane hit) and it was one of our best cruise/beach days ever. We walked toward the end of the downtown area and found a place with beach chairs and a hammock and our waiter kept us supplied with drinks all day. Our snorkeling excursion had gotten cancelled due to rough water and we were so glad! The only annoying thing was waiting for the shuttle into the town but taking a taxi back was easy.

Edited: 28 May 2010, 17:56
7. Re: costa maya from cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Costa Maya
Recent Conversations