We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Herts
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Thinking of heading for a week to Tavarnelle in June but not so sure about hiring a car again for a week.

How easy is it to get to Florence and Siena from there by public transport or can you get organized trips from them?

also are restaurants good, weather by fine in early June, any other comments?

Thanks in advance for any replies

7 replies to this topic
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

You can get to Florence using the SITA bus in about 40 minutes. Here's the timetable: http://www.acvbus.it/orari/368-370.pdf

To get to Siena, you should be able to go via Poggibonsi.

June is a beautiful month to be here.

Herts
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Is it easy enough to get to Poggibonsi?

Thank you for your quick response, much appreciated

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

"Is it easy enough to get to Poggibonsi?"

Yes, check the timetable - it's about 25 minutes in the other direction i.e. not towards Florence.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
6 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Yes, the SITA bus is fine. However, you might want a car,at least for a few days, to enable easier wandering to nearby towns. Castellina in Chianti has the very best ice cream; Monteriggione is a charming town surrounded by medieval walls and mentioned by Dante; Badia di Passignano worth a stop, etc. Bus does work but I think you'd enjoy the freedom of a car.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Where in Tavarnelle are you planning to stay? The town of Tavarnelle is one thing, but the township of Tavarnelle is pretty danged big. You could find yourself in a lovely villa on the top of a hill, at the end of a long one-lane dirt road, kilometers from the nearest bus stop! Don't assume that every corner of Chianti is served by public transportation!

Personally, I wouldn't spend a vacation in this area, gorgeous and enchanting as it is, without a car. Part of the point, always in my humblest of personal opinions, is to explore the villages and hamlets, find that perfect Tuscan view, get to know the place. Depending on the bus just doesn't do it. I know!… I live about 15 minutes from Tavarnelle!

tuscany
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Where are you going to stay in Tavernelle Val di Pesa ? If you are in town is easy to go by bus to Florence or Siena, but most of the accommodation are in the surroundings and you need a car also for food shopping everyday . And you are in a nice area and you would like to enjoy tours to visit little middle age towns , or wineries and public transportation are only to main city- Drive in Tuscan countryside is easy and safe . For sure I suggest you bus to go to Florence.

Herts
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa

Thanks all for your replies....

as for where I am staying, I was thinking along the lines of Hotel Borgo Di Cortefreda Relais, I want something that has a pool for relaxing in afternoon and gorgeous views.

If not Tavarnelle Val dI Pesa, are there any other little towns you would recommend as a good base?

I have previously done a 2 stop trip in Siena and San Gimigano

Reply to: Travelling to Florence and Siena from Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tavarnelle Val di Pesa