We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

Jodoigne, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

I will be in Santander, and would like to spend 2 or 3 days in the mountains. How hard is it to get to Arenas de Cabrales from Santander by public transport? Any alternatives to go elsewher in the Picos area by public transport from Santander?

thanks

12 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

The easiest place to get to in the Picos by public transport from Santander is to Potes (in Cantabria). It's run by a local bus company, and there are 2 buses a day. It takes around 2 and half hours from Santander. Check out: www.transportedecantabria.es for timetables and info, you can buy the ticket at Santander bus station, and possibly on the bus too, but not online.

Cape Town Central...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

How do I get to Potes from Leon or Mansilla de las Mulas or from anywhere else on the French Camino by bus. I would also like to go to Cavadonga & return to my starting point.

Looking forward to some solutions.

Kind regards

Erika

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

The only way from Leon to Potes (without a car) is to go via Santander, and get the Santander-Potes bus. There is no other route unfortunately. If you were decided on doing this (it is a big detour), you would be best either getting the bus from Burgos to Santander or the train from somewhere like Fromista to Santander, and then as I said, getting the bus from Santander to Potes. Check out the travelling pages in the Travel Guide for Cantabria for links to timetables. Santander-Potes takes around 2 hours, and sadly there is no easy way to Covadonga either, you'd have to get public transport from Oviedo or Cangas de Onis I imagine, there are no buses from either Potes or Santander to Covadonga. To give you a better idea of why the logistics are so bad, the Picos mountains are basically split in to 3 massifs, one whose base is Potes, another whose base is the north of Leon and another whose base is the area around Covadonga, so although they look close on a map, there are huge mountains to go around, basically down river valleys, to get from one to the other. It is a long drive between them as there are only winding mountain roads around them.

Cape Town Central...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

Thanks ,that was insightful. Now to choose a part to visit. Which is the most beautiful?

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks

Erika

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

It really depends what you actually want to do there, whether it be eat, walk up gorges, walk up mountains, walk around pretty villages, adventure, religious buildings, cable cars etc. It is certainly not an easy trip by public transport at any rate, you will be quite limited as to where you can access.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

It's also important as to what time of year you're visiting and using public transportation. I visited in mid September and many of the buses were only offered in summer (which did not include mid September) or the schedule was greatly reduced. I stayed in Cangis de Onis and was able to visit Cavadonga by bus. This was definately a challenging place to visit without a car but still beautiful and I don't regret the visit.

Cape Town Central...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

Thanks for all your insights. I still really want to do some sightseeing & photography along the two Camino routes

!) Leon to Ovido

2) Leon to Potes

I don't have time to walk them and would love to see these routes.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

As I said before, there is no public transport at all from Leon to Potes without going via Santander, which means you go way out of your way.

Leon to Oviedo is much easier, there are regular buses with ALSA (www.alsa.es) which take between 1hr30 and 2hrs. Undoubtedly some spectacular scenery on that route.

As Casa says, it really depends on what time of year you're going to be travelling as to what local transport will be available in the local areas, in summer you shouldn't have a problem, it will be limited, but there will be some. Have a look on the Asturias FAQ's and Travel Guides for info about public transport around that area.

Balance
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

Is getting to Arenas a lot harder than getting to Potes?

I really would like to go to Arenas by public transport.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport

Where are you starting off from Henry? When are you going? If you read through the conversation above, this should give you some idea, but if you answer those we'll be able to be a bit more specific. And one last question, is it Arenas you want, or is it Cares/Bulnes and the walking there?

Reply to: getting to Arenas from Santander by public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arenas de Cabrales