We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach condition

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anguilla
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beach condition

Many people have asked about the erosion situation on different beaches around the island so I though this might help. I took a boat tour around the west end yesterday, from Cuisinart around to Malliouhana and over to Long Bay. Keep in mind that yesterday was a perfect day, weatherwise. No waves, little wind, one of the best days this year....beautiful. Long Bay and Meads Bay from east to west are still fantastic with tons of sand, but on Meads when you get to Anacoanda (La Serena) it changes. There the sand has washed away leaving some of their palapas laying on their sides and creating a small sand cliff that is back as far as the sea oats are. From there to Viceroy the beach has suffered some pretty good erosion. Viceroys corner of Meads Bay is rocky with very little sand remaining.

Barnes Bay, on the other hand looked OK, still not a large beach but no exposed rocks. But, remember there were no waves when I saw it so it looks like a useable beach for now.

On the south side portions of the beach in front of Cove Castles is completely gone with just large rocks exposed. Cap Juluca's beach looks fine, a little thin on the west end but still nice. Banky Banks Dune Preserve has no beach, none...nothing but rocks under the bar and the other structures...almost looks like they're ready to tumble in with the next wave. Finally, Cuisinart...this beach has several large areas of exposed rock, esp. right in front of their water sports area, but there is still enough beach to play in the sand if you don't mind walking to get to a good spot.. Seemed like the south side had worse erosion than the north side even after the significant northern ground seas activity earlier this season.

Hope this helps and remember since we're dealing with mother nature this report is only good till the next storm or ground seas come and none of this is a reason to stay home!!!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach condition

Thanks for your great "on the spot" report.

AXA Beach Bum

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach condition

Underwater, that was a great report. We saw the erosion on the west end of Meads in Nov 2010.

When we arrived, there was no beach at Viceroy, Anacaona had the little sand cliff with water coming up to the edge.

When we departed 10 days later, Viceroy had a small sandy beach with chairs in front of Bamboo and Anacaona had chairs and umbrellas on the beach (not sure, but I think those palapas belong to Sur la Plage).

As you say and I agree, there is no telling what Mother Nature will bring, conditions change rapidly and there is no reason to stay home.

We went to Cancun a month after Wilma, the beach was gone, but we still managed to have a great time, wade in a bit and get wet and just get away from it all, a vacation heals your soul especially one in Anguilla.

Thank you again for your time.

Luck to you,

Ellen

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach condition

Thanks for the detailed report, Underwater. I just booked a one-week stay at Anacaona for the early part of April. I am really excited to see what mother nature decides to give back (or take away) over the next few months. I'm not too bothered about perfection at my doorstep, if I know I can easily get to the next perfect beach in a matter of minutes! I look forward to seeing some current pictures though, as it will be interesting to note the changes between now and then. Can't wait to be back in Anguilla!

Edited: 08 January 2011, 14:25
Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach condition

Thanks for the reporting. Glad to hear of all of the beaches that are coming back after the last hurricane season, but I'm particularly glad to hear that Barnes Bay has more sand, as Caribella may be my new favorite place to stay...

How was Shoal Bay West in front of Blue Waters?

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach condition

Shoal bay west, at Blue Waters and Trattoria gained sand! Looking great!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach condition

THAS-wish I were there. HOW exactly is it sitting on beach at Anacoanda? Do they have chairs/palapas?? Haven't been to Anquilla in 7.5 years - want comfortable padded lounger under paplapa to see that gorgeous turquoise water I've missed! Where do you recommend? I'd like Carimar but wish they had pool if seas too cool or rough a day or two. preveiously stayed at Cuisinart low season twice but was windy in June so usually drove over to Meads or Shoal for swimming.

WE LOVED that round large Palapa restaurant with the authentic large wood beam roof and the dolphin encounters on point on Meads. It was a fantastical special beautiful structure but I guess viceroy got rid of it? we walked around viceroy while being built and although upscale NO comparison in attractiveness to CAP, Malli or Cuisinart and not attractive to look at in distance being so boxy. Love more upscale Mediterranean architecure but at rates under $425/night? ?? advice?

Considering Anacoanda, Shoal Bay V but concerned about age/attractiveness-can't go wrong being on that beach, also KU but hear is not well-maintained & staff not accomodating!?! Frangipani sounds perfect but pricey-how's their beach now?

Anguilla
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach condition

Meads Bay beach is terrific right now. The beach down by Anacoana has a drop off due to the rough seas of late and still has palapas, minus one which fell into the water. But east of there the sand is plentiful. All the places you mention are doable, but do your research cuz like everywhere you get what you pay for.

8. Re: Beach condition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 07:16