We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help get us there- QUICK!

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help get us there- QUICK!

1st time to AXA. Ready to book our way from SXM to AXA and back. Want to spend as much time on AXA as possible without paying private charter flight or shuttle. Not sure how much time is needed when coming and going to catch flight or shuttle. Please help with any suggestions.

Arriving in SXM at 3:07 on a Friday, Feb.25th. What is the quickest way to get to AXA. AAS has a 3:30 and 5:00 flight. Or would it be quicker to take a shuttle? If so which one?

We depart Saturday March 5 at 2:10 which flight or shuttle would we be best?

Thank you so much!!!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

We arrived last Wednesday in SXM at 2:50pm, went through customs claimed our bags, got in a taxi and were in Marigot on board Link Cat on our way to Anguilla at 4pm. We cleared customs in AXA Blowing Point and were in our rental car by 4:40pm. That's less than 2 hours afer touching ground in SXM. We like taking the ferry and feeling tghe excitment as the ferry comes closer to shore.

I know you can take Shauna VI around that time - you may want to research earlier posts for private ferry schedules.

We normally plan to take the public ferry but end up on one of the private ferries returning to SXM. There are usually two or three private ferry employees at Blowing Point trying to get additional passengers.

Others like to fly from SXM to AXA. I'm sure they'll chime in.

Limin on Monday

AXA Beach Bum

North Hill Village

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

I am going to closely the same time that you are.

The plane is 7 minutes tops. You can't beat that for timing.

The boat shuttle from the airport (there are several -- we take Funtime) will take a good 1/2 - 3/4 hour to get to AXA depending upon boat traffic at the Simpson Bay Police Station stop for passport checking.

You can take a taxi instead to Marigot and take a ferry from there which is quite a bit cheaper. Taxi ride is around 1/2 hr. depending on traffic and the ride to AXA on the ferry is about 25-30 minutes.

If you decide on the boat shuttle, you might want to check the times they leave that correlate best to your arrival at SXM. Some that enjoy a good reputation are Funtime and GB. Their times are similar. Both have a shuttle at 4 pm. Funtime also has one at 4:45. GB has another one at 5:40.

Finally: You might want to check with the shuttle to find out if there is another couple who would share your expense for a private shuttle which would turn out to be the same as the regular shuttle. That's what I intend to do. Those boats leave when YOU want them to.

I hope this helps some.

Edited: 24 January 2011, 18:03
Omaha
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

Thanks to both of you! Just knowing what to expect for timing especially.

Pepper, we want to fly into AXA, but I'm sure since we arrive at 3:07 we wouldn't be able to make the 3:30 flight. Not sure I can handle the wait until the 5:00 flight.

NH
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

We arrive the same day as you at 3:05pm and right now we are planning on the 4:15 Fun Time ferry. I wonder if we could charter something earlier like 3:30 (assuming flights are on time). We are 2 adults and 2 children, what about you?

NH
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

We arrive the same day as you at 3:05pm and right now we are planning on the 4:15 Fun Time ferry. I wonder if we could charter something earlier like 3:30 (assuming flights are on time). We are 2 adults and 2 children, what about you?

Omaha
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

There are just the two of us. We'd be willing to look into a charter if we could get there sooner. Our bags should be coming out at the same time as yours so hopefully noone would have to wait on anyone else.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

Ooo! Lucky lucky you! Can't you change all of your hard worked plans and go 2 days later? Pretty please???? (Hmmmmm! Didn't think so!)

:-)

Omaha
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

Pepper,

Might be worth it just to meet you and pick your "expert" brain on the way over. :)

Birmingham, Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

Quickest way to travel between SXM and AXA is by taking Links Ferry Service. Links has a speed boat which is much faster than ferry boat at Mariquot. Contact "kay": 264-729-0654 to make arrangements. Cost is more but it is worth price ($50 one way or $85 RT), since you will avoid taxi drive around SXM which has one main road only.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 20:50
Omaha
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help get us there- QUICK!

Will look into Link!