We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit to Anguilla

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
1st visit to Anguilla

Hello all. I will be goint to Anguilla for the 1st time mid-August. Doing a solo trip. Planned on 4nights 5 day. Is that enough? Thought I would do 1 day at pool, 1 day at beach/water sports, 1/2day driving around and 1/2 day spa. Getting into St. Marteen around 2pm and leaving around 3pm.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

Though it wouldn't be my preference, it is certainly doable. Since you're visiting an island with incomparable beaches, I would strongly suggest skipping a day by the pool so that you can spend more time on the beach. If time or budget restraints make it only 4 nights, then you can do a quick getaway and still feel refreshed, but for a more relaxed pace I recommend staying longer if possible.

If a relaxed pace doesn't appeal to you, it's entirely possible that you might prefer to spend your time on St. Maarten instead of Anguilla. I can't really tell from your post whether you want to be on the go or whether you're just trying to fit as many things into your proposed itinerary as possible.

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

I've been here for many years, and I still haven't had time to find Mimi Bay. How many have been to our best-preserved sugar mill at Benzie's Estate, a magical place on the ocean side of Shannon Hill? Or the blow hole at Copper Hole, in Blackgarden, or Colville Petty's wonderful museum in Pond Ground?

But hey, others get bored after a day or two and have to go to St. Maarten to shop. This isn't Atlantic City.

Give us a few years -- I think we're moving in that direction.

Islander

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

Thanks for your responses. I'm absolutely not looking for Atlantic City, because I wouldn't be spending that amount of cash on AC! Not interested in St. Maarten either, because it's too busy for me personally. Stayed there a few years back. Want to relax and unwind. Tired of the hustle and bustle. That's why I'm going on this trip alone.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

Where are you staying?

Mid August is when things are shutting down for the season.

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

Nowayellen, leaving on August 13th. Going to be at the Viceroy.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
475 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

Islander wrote:

"But hey, others get bored after a day or two and have to go to St. Maarten to shop. This isn't Atlantic City. Give us a few years -- I think we're moving in that direction."

MOVING IN THAT DIRECTION ???

Let's hope not, no matter what some of the higher-ups in govmt. might be mulling around. Anguilla is what it is because it is what it is, and I dare say that's why so many visitors return time and again. We don't want a St. Martin atmosphere on Anguilla.

I recall years ago taking the ferry to St. Martin to have lunch and do some shopping. We finished lunch and couldn't wait to get back "home". The fast-paced cars, mopeds, beeping horns, unfriendly attitudes -- ugh!

Viva L'Anguilla ... Serenity Wrapped In Blue!

East Longmeadow...
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

AMEN to that !!! Rastafan

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

Rastafan, and for a newcomer like me, that's exactly why I'm going to vacationed in Anguilla. For serenity!

9. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 15:25
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st visit to Anguilla

I did it in 4/5 days last year ... and I believe that it is certainly worth going if r&r is what you are after. But as ejcrowe suggests, skip the pool and get your r&r at one of the many gorgeous beaches. It is such a small island, that if you are renting a car and driving around, it is not in the least stressful or tiring to move from one beach to another... unless you are like me, and keep missing the turn from the main road to the beach you are trying to get to! It may not be enough time to explore all the sites, or try all the wonderful restaurants, but 4 days is better than 0 days, and it will give you just enough of a taste of Anguilla to start planning a return visit. :)

Edited: 07 May 2011, 01:35