We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another hotel? Phooey

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Another hotel? Phooey

travelagentcentral.com/caribbean/caribbean-d…

Anguilla
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

Dem say:

"Anguilla: Jumeirah, the Dubai-based luxury hotel group, will operate a luxury resort hotel and residences in the south of the island. The Jumeirah Anguilla Resort, on 370 acres of beachfront, is expected to open in the next three years."

This is the Jack Nicklaus project that started out in Junks Hole but has been moved to the Lake estate, which is located between Forest Bay and the eastern end of the airport. It's had several names, starting with Conch Bay and then Fairmont -- Fairmont/Raffles is another Middle East-based company.

Jumeirah is the proposed operator, not the investor. Financing is apparently not yet in place. The principals are solid people, experienced in golf resort development. If it gets built, it won't be the sort of disorganised construction circus we saw at Temenos and Viceroy.

Do we need another big development? Does our little island need two golf courses? It depends on who we ask. Development approval is in the hands of the elected Ministers, and the number one political issue in Anguilla today is unemployment in the construction sector. What would you do if you were our Chief Minister? Commit political suicide for the long term good of our island?

The other golf course, Temenos, has been sold by court order at a public auction. The only bidder was CuisinArt owner Leandro Rizzuto. Government expected him to hire hundreds of people and finish the project, but it seems he's only interested in the golf course until the tourism economy improves. The sale needs approval by the court and our Ministers. There is considerable uncertainly about the latter.

IslandBoy

United States
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

Old news...No???

Anguilla
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

Yes, for the Jumeirah part, all this was announced a year ago.

IslandBoy

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

Seems as if AXA construction is as stuck as Las Vegas'.

Bad time to be building hotels.

Ellen

Anguilla
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

The present incomplete Temenos hotel building has 32 rooms. The Chief Minister wants Mr. Rizzuto to increase that to 200, with half built now and the other half in a future Phase Two. Rizzuto has declined, and the CM has now announced that his government will not approve the sale.

The ball is now in Rizzuto's court. He can slink away and withdraw, which is not his usual style, or bring suit locally to force government to approve the sale.

Neither of these two men got where they are today by being shy and retiring. As the old people say, "Two man crabs can't live in the same hole."

IslandBoy

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

Islander, that expression is used in "Sent from Overseas", and all this time I thought you were making this stuff up ;-)

Ellen

Anguilla
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

I'm neither clever nor wise enough to make up the colourful sayings I hear from the old people here in Anguilla. All are authentic. When Anguilla was a poverty-stricken backwater, education (and discipline) were taken very seriously, and have produced an outstanding community of people. The polite, friendly Anguillians working in our tourism sector are the grandchildren of this heritage. (Yes, so are the surly, apathetic Immigration officers. "Every day is fishing day but every day ain' ketching day.")

"Sent from Abroad" is Rudy Gurley's book about colonialism and racism as it exists today in the independent islands of the Eastern Caribbean. Here's an old but excellent review of the book: http://tinyurl.com/3hz8lck

The story I heard was that when the Cable & Wireless board of directors procured a review copy of the book, they immediately met and changed the name of their Caribbean operations to "LIME." Gurley's stunning book is why I use and recommend Digicel.

IslandBoy

Anguilla
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

Crabs?

Really?

This pissing match has to come to an end quickly.

AXA deserves more than this.

Anguilla
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

The proposed Jumeirah Anguilla Resort involves property owned by the Lake/Kentish Family. I regret to report that Dame Bernice Lake, the head of the family, passed away this afternoon.

I don't expect this will change the plans for this proposed development.

IslandBoy

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another hotel? Phooey

A recent article from the Anguillian newspaper -

anguillian.com/article/…

Edited: 11 September 2011, 09:38