We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

Philadelphia...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

the first week in June is my husbands 50th birthday. Want to plan a really special vacation as a surprise for him...bringing our three teens.

I feel like Anguilla is more special but people also rave about the Rosewood Mayakoba. Only reason to go to Mexico is because I can fly non stop out of closest airport to our home. Have to travel about twice the distance...2 hrs to get to airport in NY that has non stop to Anguilla which is only way I will fly. Willing to do this though...any input would help!! Which place will make for a more special surprise 50th??!!

CT, USA
Level Contributor
228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

If you could fly direct to St. Maartin, taking the ferry to Anguilla is quick and easy.

Michigan
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

Are you sure about that non-stop into Anguilla? I'd check that out further...don't think that's possible. Most likely into St. Maarten or San Juan then small plane or boat to Anguilla.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

You can't fly non-stop from NYC to Anguilla, unless you are doing it with your own aircraft. IMO...you can't compare Anguilla to Cancun. Anguilla is very special...

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

Have been to the Riviera Maya and doesn't come close to Anguilla. I know what you mean about travel....we can get daily direct flights into Cancun or fly 3 planes - either a redeye or overnight - and we opt to do this anytime over the convenience of Cancun as Anguilla is so special. After the first dip in that water we forget all about the long travel. I spent my 50th birthday in Anguilla and was the best!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

Forgot to add that beginning of June is a most wonderful time on island!

The water is calm and warm, less crowded everywhere, and rates are down!

Boston...
Level Contributor
443 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

Hi

I've been to both resorts and they are very different from each other, so it really boils down to what you value most. Most of the folks on this board are very much in love with AXA, so you need to filter for all that.

Rosewood Mayakoba is a very spread out resort with most rooms away from the beach, but with spectacular views of nature. There are golf carts that take guests from place to place. It is easily a 20 minute walk from a lagoon room to the beach. The beach at Rosewood, while nice, does not come close to the beach at Cuisinart. Both have access to high end golf courses and spas.

I would say the food at Rosewood is a bit better than what is on offer at Cuisinart, but other non-resort options are a little limited vs. the many great restaurants on AXA. The hopping town of Playa del Carmen is a short cab ride away, but was a bit sketchy for my taste and I only stayed an hour or two. If you love shopping in St. Maarten or STT, you may like it, but I quickly tired of the hawkers for "massages" and the cruise ship crowds. Definitely NOT tranquility wrapped in blue in PDC.

Where Rosewood shines is unobtrusive service. Everyone knows your name and stops to assist - the resort just feels serene. The concept of island time does not exist at Rosewood. The 3 resorts at Mayakoba are all about nature, luxury and solitude. The rooms at Rosewood are over the top luxe and very private, with butler service to make sure you have everything you need without ever having to ask.

Cusinart is a world class beach resort. The on-site restaurants are good, but not the best the island has to offer. While the service at Cuisinart and on AXA in general is good, it is not in the same league as at Rosewood. (I actually felt the service at Cap was intrusive, but not at Cuisinart.) The rooms at Cuisinart are very large and have nice outdoor space, but are smaller and less luxurious than at Rosewood, but by no means are lacking. But at Cusinart, all the rooms look out on an amazing beach with views of St. Martin in the distance.

Spending a vacation on AXA is mostly about the beach and the food, with some of the warmest local people you will ever meet. While there is not much to see as such, it is a fun place to drive around and explore. Mayakoba is a short drive to Mayan ruins and other attractions that are quite interesting if you want some time away from the beach. Mayakoba is a world away from Cancun, so no need to think in terms of that Spring Break haven. Security on the Carib coast of Mexico is fine, so no need to worry about that, although you will see Federales on the highway from the CUN airport to the resort.

In the end, both places will live up to the hype, it really is what you want to be doing on your vacation.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,122 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

Nice post Andrew!

8. Re: CuisinArt in Anguilla or Rosewood Myakoba in Riviera Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 06:19